Search Press Releases

Press Release Archive

Press Releases

  |   Views: 4771
  |   Categories: Fire Department Press Releases

Solar Panels Involved in Roof Fire

Solar Panels Involved in Roof Fire

On Thursday, April 28, 2022, at 4:51 p.m., the Lee’s Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire in the 4300 Block of NE Walnut Ridge. An occupant in the house reported smoke coming from the roof and attic.

When the fire department arrived, light smoke was visible from the attic and roof of a two-story, single-family residence. All of the occupants were safe outside.

The fire involved solar panels on the roof near the peak and had spread into the attic. After isolating power from the solar panels, firefighters extinguished the fire on the roof and in the attic. The fire was under control by 5:13 p.m.

Firefighters contained the fire to a small portion of the roof and three solar panels. There was no damage to the living area other than minor water damage and an opening made in the ceiling to get to the fire in the attic. The steep grade and the solar panels made working on the roof difficult.

The fire started in a solar panel and spread to the roof. The cause of the fire could not be determined.

Crews covered the opening in the roof, and the utilities were restored so the occupants could return to the house.

Print

Latest Press Releases

Fire Prevention Week is October 8-14
Fire Prevention Week is October 8-14

Fire Prevention Week is October 8-14

“Cooking safety starts with YOU. Pay attention to fire prevention.”

The Lee's Summit Fire Department is teaming up with the National Fire Protection Association® (NFPA®) to promote this year's Fire Prevention Week (FPW) campaign, "Cooking safety starts with you. Pay attention to fire prevention.” The campaign educates everyone about simple but important actions they can take when cooking to keep themselves and those around them safe.   According to NFPA, cooking is the leading cause of...
Rick Viar to Receive Civic Leadership Award
Rick Viar to Receive Civic Leadership Award

Rick Viar to Receive Civic Leadership Award

Rick Viar has been selected by Mayor Bill Baird to receive the 2023 West Gate Division of the Missouri Municipal League's Annual Civic Leadership Award. The award recognizes the outstanding contributions of business and civic leaders in developing stronger cities. Viar will be honored at a banquet on Oct. 26 at Belvoir Winery in Liberty. Viar is a dedicated community public servant who has served on numerous boards and committees over the years, including the...
Ember from Burning Brush Pile Ignites House
Ember from Burning Brush Pile Ignites House

Ember from Burning Brush Pile Ignites House

On Wednesday, September 20, 2023, at 5:03 p.m., the Lee's Summit Fire Department responded to a structure fire in the 1500 Block of SW Highway Lane. A passerby reported smoke and fire from the house's roof with no one around. When the fire department arrived, smoke was visible from the roof of a one-story, single-family vacant residence under renovation. A worker was in the backyard attempting to extinguish a brush pile fire near the house.  The...
Colbern Road Safety Improvement Work Begins September 5
Colbern Road Safety Improvement Work Begins September 5

Colbern Road Safety Improvement Work Begins September 5

The City of Lee’s Summit announced that work on the Colbern Road Improvements Project begins Sept. 5. The project will improve the safety and flow of traffic on Northwest Colbern Road between Northeast Douglas Street and Missouri Route 350 and will require that section of road to be closed to through traffic until spring 2025.   The first phase of construction will require a complete closure of Northwest Colbern Road from approximately Missouri Route...
Friday Evening Fire Damages Home

Friday Evening Fire Damages Home

On Friday, September 1, at 9:23 p.m., the Lee's Summit Fire Department responded to a structure fire in the 1000 Block of SW Whistle Drive. The occupant returned home Friday evening to find smoke coming from the house and called 911. When the fire department arrived, heavy smoke was coming from the garage, and fire was visible inside the two-story, single-family residence. The occupants were safe outside. Firefighters entered the building and knocked down...
First468Last