Development Applications

The City's Business and Development Handbook provides a step-by-step guide for locating a business in Lee's Summit, and walks through the development application and approval process.


Rezoning is the process to change the zoning classification of particular lots or parcels of land. As part of the process a rezoning application must be submitted, and two public hearings are held before the Planning Commission and City Council.  The purpose of the public hearing process is to ensure that the proposed uses are appropriate at the proposed location and compatible with existing or planned uses on the surrounding property. In addition, decisions are typically made at this point that determine the density (or intensity) of development and its general layout and character. These decisions are made only after listening to any concerns that surrounding property owners or members of the general public may have regarding the proposed development and its impact on the community.

Rezoning (with no Preliminary Development Plan) (for rezoning to AG, RDR, RLL and R-1 only)

Rezoning with Preliminary Development Plan (for all other rezoning projects)  

Special Use Permit

The division of the City into zoning districts is based on the principle that similar conditions prevail throughout a particular district. Some uses of land are not appropriate as a "permitted use" in certain districts and are designated as special uses. These uses may be approved at a particular location because of factors or reasons not applicable to the zoning districts as a whole. Special uses may have a unique impact on the adjoining uses of land, and are therefore subject to individualized considerations as to location and conditions of use to protect and promote the basic purposes of the Unified Development Ordinance (UDO).

Special Use Permit

Development Plans

A development plan is a plan or map that includes a site plan showing such things as the layout of buildings and parking areas, building elevations, and the relationship of the proposed development to existing or proposed development on surrounding property. The City of Lee's Summit utilizes both a preliminary and final development plan.

Preliminary Development Plan

The purpose of the preliminary development plan is to approve the conceptual development of a particular parcel of property. A preliminary development plan includes the general concept for the entire development and is required as a part of the rezoning of any property; the development of any vacant property; or a change in the primary use of property. All elements of the development plan and exterior appearance of the project are not finalized at this stage, but are approved in conceptual form.

Preliminary Development Plan - Application, Instructions & Checklist 

Final Development Plan

Final development plans are required before developing property in a planned district, or where a non-residential use is proposed in a residential district, such as churches and schools. At this stage of the process, staff reviews details of the development including architecture, landscaping, exterior lighting, grading, drainage, traffic circulation within the site, and the screening of items such as loading docks, trash dumpsters, and exterior mechanical equipment. All elements of the development plan and exterior appearance of the project are finalized at this stage. Final development plans include refined drawings focused on one phase of the development.

Final Development Plan - Application, Instructions & Checklist 


Platting involves the subdivision of land into lots or tracts. A plat is recorded as a permanent legal document that includes both an accurate legal description, as well as a graphical depiction of any real property that is to be divided. The intent of platting is to provide a readily accessible and easily understandable public record of property. The three types of plats are: Preliminary, Final and Minor. 

Preliminary Plat

A preliminary plat demonstrates the overall subdivision concept for an entire ownership tract or parcel of land. The preliminary plat shows the general lot configuration, street layout and existing topography. A preliminary plat is required for all subdivision of land, except a minor subdivision. Street names are generally established on the preliminary plat - see the City's Street Naming Policy for guidelines on how to choose street names.

Preliminary Plat Packet (Application, Instructions & Checklist)

Final Plat

The final plat generally represents only one phase of development within the approved preliminary plat. The final plat is more detailed than the preliminary plat and includes exact lot layouts, easement locations, and dedication language for all public streets and easements. A final plat must be recorded at the County recorder of deeds and returned to the Development Services Department prior to the issuance of a building permits for any lot within the plat.  See Plat Recording Instructions for information on how to get the plat recorded at the County after it has been approved by the City.

Final Plat - Application, Instructions & Checklist 

Minor Plat

A minor plat can only be used for subdividing one, two, or three lots. It can also be used to adjust property boundaries between the owners of adjoining properties, adjust building lines, or as a resurvey to combine 2 or more lots into one lot. A minor plat must have the same level of detail as a final plat. A minor plat must be recorded at the appropriate County recorder of deeds and returned to the Development Services Department prior to the issuance of a building permit for any lot within the plat.  See Plat Recording Instructions for information on how to get the plat recorded at the County after it has been approved by the City.

Minor Plat - Application, Instructions & Checklist

Public Infrastructure Improvement Application (Engineered Drawings)

Public Infrastructure Improvement Application

Comprehensive Plan Amendment

A Comprehensive Plan Amendment is used to change the preferred land use of property shown on the long range plan for the City.  It does not change the zoning map, or change the zoning classification of a specific property. The Comprehensive Plan is usually prepared by the City, although private property owners or developers may request a change as well.

Comprehensive Plan Amendment Application

Sign Permit (for administrative approval)

A sign permit must be obtained for any new sign to be installed within the City of Lee's Summit.  Most sign permits can be issued administratively by the Development Services Department. Sign regulations can be found in Article 13 of the Unified Development Ordinance (UDO).

Sign Permit (for administrative approval)

Sign Application (for Planning Commission approval)

A Sign Application can be submitted for one or more signs that do not comply with UDO Article 13 for administrative approval, but are specified in Table 13-2 as signs that are allowed "as approved by the Commission".  Applicants must submit a "Sign Application" for processing through the Planning Commission. If approved, then a Sign Permit form must be filled out for the administrative approval.

Sign Application (for Planning Commission approval)

Street Name Change

 A request for street name change requires public hearings at the Planning Commission and City Council.

Street Name Change application form

See Street Naming Policy for guidelines as to how streets are named.

Vacation of Right-of-Way

A vacation of right-of-way may be requested by the abutting property owner(s) when the right-of-way is no longer needed.  If, after a public hearing process, the City agrees that there is no longer any public need for the right-of-way, the City Council will pass an ordinance vacating the right-of-way.  After the document is recorded with the County Recorder of Deeds, the right-of-way will revert to the property owners on either side. 

Vacation of Right-of-Way (VROW) - application form, fees and instructions

Vacation of Easement

A vacation of easement can be requested when an easement is no longer needed and interferes with proposed development.

Vacation of Easement (VOE) - application form, fees and instructions


A variance is defined as a modification of, or departure from, the provisions of the Unified Development Ordinance (UDO) which, if applied to a specific lot, would significantly interfere with the use of the particular property. The variance process is intended to provide relief in those limited and unique situations where strict compliance with the UDO would cause practical difficulties for the property owner.

Non-Use Variance. Most often, variances are requested for relief from dimensional requirements such as setbacks for the principal structure, accessory buildings, decks, or other improvements. These are called "non-use variances".  For an appeal of an administrative decision, use the same application form.

Use Variance. It is also possible to apply for a "use variance", but this is not common, since a change in use generally requires a rezoning application.

Wind Turbine Permit

A micro wind turbine (less than 10 kW) is permitted as a conditional use in any zoning district if the restrictions for lot size and height of the structure can be met, and if adjacent property owners have no objection.  A special use permit is required for larger or taller wind turbines, with certain limits.  See Unified Development Ordinance (UDO) Article 17 for complete regulations and procedures.

Conditional Use Permit for Wind Turbine - application & instructions (Revised April 2019)

Special Use Permit application

Zoning Verification

Phone Verification - Zoning of a property can be verified over the phone at no charge. Call Development Services at 816.969.1200 with the property address, legal description or parcel number.

Written Verification - A zoning confirmation letter can be provided for a fee of $100.00 by submitting a written request to Development Services. A zoning confirmation letter includes:

  • zoning designation of the specific property, based on the address, legal description or parcel number
  • uses permitted in the district
  • confirmation that the property is in compliance with all applicable ordinance requirements, to the best of the City's knowledge
  • confirmation that the development is in conformance with development standards, such as density, height, setbacks, parking, landscaping, etc., if that information is available

Information in the letter will be based upon facts within the actual knowledge of City staff, which may include a record of any violations on file with the City. City staff does not conduct an independent investigation of the current status or conditions of the property.