Search Press Releases

Press Release Archive

Press Releases

  |   Views: 4554
  |   Categories: Fire Department Press Releases

Solar Panels Involved in Roof Fire

Solar Panels Involved in Roof Fire

On Thursday, April 28, 2022, at 4:51 p.m., the Lee’s Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire in the 4300 Block of NE Walnut Ridge. An occupant in the house reported smoke coming from the roof and attic.

When the fire department arrived, light smoke was visible from the attic and roof of a two-story, single-family residence. All of the occupants were safe outside.

The fire involved solar panels on the roof near the peak and had spread into the attic. After isolating power from the solar panels, firefighters extinguished the fire on the roof and in the attic. The fire was under control by 5:13 p.m.

Firefighters contained the fire to a small portion of the roof and three solar panels. There was no damage to the living area other than minor water damage and an opening made in the ceiling to get to the fire in the attic. The steep grade and the solar panels made working on the roof difficult.

The fire started in a solar panel and spread to the roof. The cause of the fire could not be determined.

Crews covered the opening in the roof, and the utilities were restored so the occupants could return to the house.

Print

Latest Press Releases

Lee’s Summit Water Utilities Receives Two Customer Service Awards
Lee’s Summit Water Utilities Receives Two Customer Service Awards

Lee’s Summit Water Utilities Receives Two Customer Service Awards

Lee’s Summit Water Utilities is proud to announce the receipt of two prestigious customer service awards recognizing its commitment to excellence in serving the Lee’s Summit community. The ETC Institute’s Leading the Way award was given to Lee’s Summit Water Utilities to recognize its ranking in the top 10% of municipalities for outstanding performance in core areas assessed in the DirectionFinder® Survey. During 2023, ETC Institute...
Bush Fire Ignited by Fireworks Spreads to House
Bush Fire Ignited by Fireworks Spreads to House

Bush Fire Ignited by Fireworks Spreads to House

On Sunday, February 11, 2024, at 9:52 p.m., the Lee's Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire in the 1200 Block of North Ranson Road in Greenwood, Missouri. Callers said fireworks caught a bush on fire next to the house, and it spread to the building. When the fire department arrived, smoke was visible from the eaves of a one-story, single-family residence. All of the occupants were safe outside. Firefighters extinguished the fire outside...
House Fire Sends One Person to the Hospital
House Fire Sends One Person to the Hospital

House Fire Sends One Person to the Hospital

 On Saturday, February 3, 2024, at 1:37 a.m., the Lee's Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire at the Rising Star Ranch, 2807 NW Chipman Road. An occupant of a house at the ranch called 911 to report an explosion and fire with one person injured. When the fire department arrived, a small one-story house and a nearby utility trailer were heavily involved in the fire. The occupants of the house were outside. One of the occupants was...
City of Lee’s Summit Statement on Stadium Sales Tax

City of Lee’s Summit Statement on Stadium Sales Tax

The City of Lee’s Summit’s Legislative and Intergovernmental Relations Committee released the following statement related to the actions of the Jackson County Legislature and the county executive as they pertain to the Chiefs and Royals stadiums: “For more than 50 years the Kansas City Chiefs and Royals have been significant contributors to the economy of Jackson County, the state of Missouri and the bi-state area. The citizens of Jackson County...
Extension Cords Used with a Space Heater Causes Fire
Extension Cords Used with a Space Heater Causes Fire

Extension Cords Used with a Space Heater Causes Fire

On Tuesday, January 16, 2024, at 10:46 a.m., the Lee's Summit Fire Department responded to a structure fire in the 300 Block of NE Parks Edge Place. The occupants smelled smoke but did not see anything. When the smoke alarms started to sound, they discovered smoke from the basement stairs and a fire. They called 911 and evacuated the building.   When the fire department arrived, smoke was visible inside a two-story, single-family residence. Everyone...
1345Last