Search Press Releases

Press Release Archive

Press Releases

  |   Views: 4771
  |   Categories: Fire Department Press Releases

Solar Panels Involved in Roof Fire

Solar Panels Involved in Roof Fire

On Thursday, April 28, 2022, at 4:51 p.m., the Lee’s Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire in the 4300 Block of NE Walnut Ridge. An occupant in the house reported smoke coming from the roof and attic.

When the fire department arrived, light smoke was visible from the attic and roof of a two-story, single-family residence. All of the occupants were safe outside.

The fire involved solar panels on the roof near the peak and had spread into the attic. After isolating power from the solar panels, firefighters extinguished the fire on the roof and in the attic. The fire was under control by 5:13 p.m.

Firefighters contained the fire to a small portion of the roof and three solar panels. There was no damage to the living area other than minor water damage and an opening made in the ceiling to get to the fire in the attic. The steep grade and the solar panels made working on the roof difficult.

The fire started in a solar panel and spread to the roof. The cause of the fire could not be determined.

Crews covered the opening in the roof, and the utilities were restored so the occupants could return to the house.

Print

Latest Press Releases

Engineer Brad Faulkner
Engineer Brad Faulkner

Engineer Brad Faulkner

With great sadness, we announce the passing of Engineer Brad Faulkner. Brad collapsed at his son’s sporting event on Thursday, and efforts to resuscitate him were unsuccessful. Brad was a 19-year veteran assigned to A-Shift at Fire Station No. 3. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Brad’s family, friends, and his fire department family.

3 Wheel Bikes Now Available for Rent at LSPR
3 Wheel Bikes Now Available for Rent at LSPR

3 Wheel Bikes Now Available for Rent at LSPR

Lee’s Summit Parks and Recreation would like to announce the purchase of four 3-wheel bikes through a grant funded by Eitas- developmental disabilities services of Jackson County. This purchase allows adults with disabilities, balance impairments, and the senior population to utilize the free bikes reservation program at Lovell and Longview Community Centers. This new amenity will improve the quality of life for many patrons with balance and mobility...
Bedroom Fire Causes Extensive Damage
Bedroom Fire Causes Extensive Damage

Bedroom Fire Causes Extensive Damage

On Tuesday, May 9, 2023, at 4:42 pm, the Lee’s Summit Fire Department responded to a structure fire in the 400 Block of SE Weiss Circle. The occupant called 911 and reported a fire in the upstairs bedroom. The occupant was evacuating the house.  When the fire department arrived, light smoke was coming from the two-story, single-family residence. The occupant and pet were safe outside. Firefighters entered the house to heavy smoke conditions and...
Director of Water Utilities Receives American Water Works Association Award
Director of Water Utilities Receives American Water Works Association Award

Director of Water Utilities Receives American Water Works Association Award

The City of Lee’s Summit is pleased to announce Mark Schaufler, director of Water Utilities, recently received the 2023 Missouri Section American Water Works Association Donald R. Boyd Water Utility Manager Award. This distinguished award recognizes exceptional managerial abilities with a community water supply. Schaufler has been a part of Water Utilities for nearly 30 years, 20 of which are in his current role as director. During his tenure, Schaufler...
Hotel Reoccupied After a Small Fire
Hotel Reoccupied After a Small Fire

Hotel Reoccupied After a Small Fire

On Monday, April 24, 2023, at 6:15 p.m., the Lee’s Summit Fire Department initially responded to an automatic fire alarm at the Quality Inn, 1020 SE Blue Parkway. The incident was upgraded to a structure fire when someone with the business reported smoke on the third floor. Nothing was visible outside the three-story, 63-room hotel when the fire department arrived. The alarms were sounding, and the guests were evacuating the building. Staff reported smoke...
First81012Last