Police Employee Complaint Form

How do I file a complaint against a Police Department employee?

The Police Department recognizes that its officers and civilian employees are responsible to the public for their performance. At certain times, a conflict may exist between a citizen and a police employee in the performance of his or her duties.

If you believe that a police employee has acted improperly, you are encouraged to contact an on-duty supervisor in an attempt to resolve the conflict.  An on duty supervisor may be reached by calling Police Dispatch at 816-969-7390 and asking for the on duty supervisor to return your call. If this contact does not achieve a satisfactory result or if you desire to file a complaint without speaking with a supervisor, a complaint form may be obtained by any of the following methods. A citizen may obtain a complaint form in the lobby of the Police Department, download and print a complaint form, or complete and submit the online complaint form below. Any method will cause submitted complaint forms to be directed to the Office of the Chief of Police. All complaints will be investigated and notification of a disposition will be provided within a reasonable period of time.

When completing the form, please be sure to provide all information concerning an incident, including identification and contact information for any witnesses. Many details, which may seem small at the time, may later prove to be of great value in the investigation. You will be notified of receipt of your complaint, provided with periodic status reports, and informed of the disposition of the investigation.

Rest assured that we desire to provide the best possible public service and are appreciative when given the opportunity to improve our performance.


Travis Forbes
Chief of Police