Search Press Releases

Press Release Archive

Press Releases

  |   Views: 2637
  |   Categories: Fire Department Press Releases

Small Chemical Spill Closes Summit Waves

Small Chemical Spill Closes Summit Waves

On Saturday, June 10, 2023, at 8:57 a.m., Lee's Summit Fire Department responded to Summit Waves, 120 SW Blue Parkway, for a reported chemical spill. Pool staff reported a leak and chemical smell from the wave pool building.

 Crews arrived and evacuated the immediate area. Lee's Summit Fire Department, hazardous materials personnel assessed the area and found that approximately ten to fifteen gallons of muriatic acid from the pool's sanitizing system had spilled from a failed distribution line. Crews turned off the system and contained the spill. Fire department medical personnel assessed the employees that found the spill with no care needed.

 Summit Waves will remain closed until a hazmat contractor finishes spill removal and repairs are made to the wave pool. Go to Lee's Summit Parks and Recreation website at LSparks.net for information on when the Summit Waves will reopen.

Print

Latest Press Releases

Severe Weather Preparedness Week March 4-8
Severe Weather Preparedness Week March 4-8

Severe Weather Preparedness Week March 4-8

The Statewide Tornado Drill is Wednesday, March 6, at 11:00 am, weather permitting. The City of Lee's Summit will activate the outdoor warning systems, school receivers, and LS Aware for the drill. It's up to you to determine the best notification method for you and your family and where you will take shelter. Here are some essential tips to keep you prepared for severe weather: • Follow local forecasts any time severe weather is possible. Have...
Accessible Ice Sleds at Summit Ice for Next Season
Accessible Ice Sleds at Summit Ice for Next Season

Accessible Ice Sleds at Summit Ice for Next Season

In February 2024, Lee’s Summit Parks and Recreation (LSPR) received $2,881.94 in funding to purchase three accessible ice sleds for Summit Ice located at Lea McKeighan Park North. The sleds are USA Disabled Hockey-approved and are available for pond hockey or public skating.  LSPR would like to thank our generous donor, Southern Africa Volunteer Enterprise, Inc. (SAVE), for providing the funds for this purchase.  SAVE is a privately funded family...
Lee’s Summit Water Utilities Receives Two Customer Service Awards
Lee’s Summit Water Utilities Receives Two Customer Service Awards

Lee’s Summit Water Utilities Receives Two Customer Service Awards

Lee’s Summit Water Utilities is proud to announce the receipt of two prestigious customer service awards recognizing its commitment to excellence in serving the Lee’s Summit community. The ETC Institute’s Leading the Way award was given to Lee’s Summit Water Utilities to recognize its ranking in the top 10% of municipalities for outstanding performance in core areas assessed in the DirectionFinder® Survey. During 2023, ETC Institute...
Bush Fire Ignited by Fireworks Spreads to House
Bush Fire Ignited by Fireworks Spreads to House

Bush Fire Ignited by Fireworks Spreads to House

On Sunday, February 11, 2024, at 9:52 p.m., the Lee's Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire in the 1200 Block of North Ranson Road in Greenwood, Missouri. Callers said fireworks caught a bush on fire next to the house, and it spread to the building. When the fire department arrived, smoke was visible from the eaves of a one-story, single-family residence. All of the occupants were safe outside. Firefighters extinguished the fire outside...
House Fire Sends One Person to the Hospital
House Fire Sends One Person to the Hospital

House Fire Sends One Person to the Hospital

 On Saturday, February 3, 2024, at 1:37 a.m., the Lee's Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire at the Rising Star Ranch, 2807 NW Chipman Road. An occupant of a house at the ranch called 911 to report an explosion and fire with one person injured. When the fire department arrived, a small one-story house and a nearby utility trailer were heavily involved in the fire. The occupants of the house were outside. One of the occupants was...
245Last