Short-term rentals have become quite popular lately with the rise of Airbnb and VRBO. With this concept, It is important to be a good neighbor and check all appicable ordinances. Please visit Development Services on the 1st floor of Lee's Summit City Hall or call us at 816-969-1200. Be advised that a buisiness license is required. The City has an ordinance in place to make the process easier. Some of the following ordinances layout where a short-term rental can be located. The following criteria apply.
- Short-term rentals should only be located within the Old Town Master Development Plan area as shown in the comprehensive plan. The area east of US Highway 50, west of 291 North and South of Chipman Road.
- If not within the Old Town Development Plan area then short term rentals are allowed on parcels greater than one acre in size.
- Only single-family or two-family dwellings (duplexes) may be used as short-term rentals.
- The owner or a local representative must occupy a dwelling unit on the same parcel or an adjacent parcel.
- There are other regulations and life safety measures that must be met to operate short-term rentals.
- To find this additional information, please reference section 6.505 Short Term Rentals in the Unified Development Ordinance as found in the link below.