Business Development Survey
Help gauge how the City is doing with the business
sectors within the community by filling out this brief survey.
On October 20, 2011 the City Council of the City of Lee’s Summit passed Bill No. 11-98 to amend Chapter 28, in the Code of Ordinances by changing the license year business licenses from the calendar year to coincide with the City’s fiscal year from July 1st to June 30th. All business licenses issued for the calendar year 2011 have been extended to expire on June 30, 2012. During this implementation new business licenses issued between January 1, 2012 and June 30, 2012 will be pro-rated 75%.
To operate a business in the City of Lee’s Summit you must have a city issued business license. Zoning approval from the Planning and Development department is required if the business is based in Lee’s Summit. If your business includes retail sales, you must also have a State of Missouri Sales Tax Number.
Business licenses are issued by the Treasury Division of the Finance Department. The Treasury Division can be reached at 816-969-1139.
Applicants must provide the following to the Treasury Division in order to begin processing a business license.
Term of License
Business licenses expire on the last day of June each year.
Applications for new licenses are pro-rated as follows:
- July 1 to September 30: 100% of yearly fee
- October 1 to December 31: 75% of yearly fee
- January 1 to March 31: 50% of yearly fee
- April 1 to June 30: 25% of yearly fee
- Manufacturing business: $26.00, plus $1.00 per employee (excluding the owner)
- Non-Manufacturing business : $30.00 plus $5.00 per employee (excluding the owner)
- Maximum license fee is $2,500.00
Additional Fees when applicable
- Master/Contractor License $25.00
- Cigarette Sales Permit $5.00
- Massage Therapy Facility License $100.00
- Delinquent business license penalty is 5% per month not to exceed 25%
Renewal Forms and Information