Search Press Releases

Press Release Archive

Press Releases

  |   Views: 1639

Extension Cords Used with a Space Heater Causes Fire

Extension Cords Used with a Space Heater Causes Fire

On Tuesday, January 16, 2024, at 10:46 a.m., the Lee's Summit Fire Department responded to a structure fire in the 300 Block of NE Parks Edge Place. The occupants smelled smoke but did not see anything. When the smoke alarms started to sound, they discovered smoke from the basement stairs and a fire. They called 911 and evacuated the building.  

When the fire department arrived, smoke was visible inside a two-story, single-family residence. Everyone was outside except for the dog.

Firefighters entered the smoke-filled building to the finished basement to extinguish the fire. A search of the structure confirmed that everyone was out. Firefighters found the dog under the bed upstairs and returned it to the owners. The dog appeared to be okay. The fire was contained to the basement. The incident was under control by 11:07 a.m.  

The basement sustained significant fire damage, with heat and smoke damage to the first floor near the stairs to the basement. Smoke damage varied throughout the remainder of the house.   

The fire originated in the basement. The fire cause is electrical in origin due to using a space heater with a power strip and extension cord.   

Print

Latest Press Releases

Volunteers Needed to Sweep the Summit on October 14
Volunteers Needed to Sweep the Summit on October 14

Volunteers Needed to Sweep the Summit on October 14

Residents, businesses, community groups and students are encouraged to join the City of Lee’s Summit on Oct. 14 for Sweep the Summit, a citywide event to address ongoing litter issues, encourage recycling and keep the City clean. Two environmental cleanups, Street Clean and Stream Team, will be held from 10 a.m. to noon. Street Clean volunteers will tackle trash and illegal dumping along certain city-owned streets. Participants are asked to meet at the...
Lee’s Summit Blood Drive on Monday, October 9
Lee’s Summit Blood Drive on Monday, October 9

Lee’s Summit Blood Drive on Monday, October 9

The City of Lee’s Summit, in partnership with the Community Blood Center, will host a blood drive on Monday, Oct. 9 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the City’s Maintenance Facility located at 1971 SE Hamblen Road. The Community Blood Center says now more than ever is the time to donate. According to the American Red Cross, national blood supply has fallen about 25% since early August. Individuals who are healthy and well are encouraged to make an...
Fire Prevention Week is October 8-14
Fire Prevention Week is October 8-14

Fire Prevention Week is October 8-14

“Cooking safety starts with YOU. Pay attention to fire prevention.”

The Lee's Summit Fire Department is teaming up with the National Fire Protection Association® (NFPA®) to promote this year's Fire Prevention Week (FPW) campaign, "Cooking safety starts with you. Pay attention to fire prevention.” The campaign educates everyone about simple but important actions they can take when cooking to keep themselves and those around them safe.   According to NFPA, cooking is the leading cause of...
Rick Viar to Receive Civic Leadership Award
Rick Viar to Receive Civic Leadership Award

Rick Viar to Receive Civic Leadership Award

Rick Viar has been selected by Mayor Bill Baird to receive the 2023 West Gate Division of the Missouri Municipal League's Annual Civic Leadership Award. The award recognizes the outstanding contributions of business and civic leaders in developing stronger cities. Viar will be honored at a banquet on Oct. 26 at Belvoir Winery in Liberty. Viar is a dedicated community public servant who has served on numerous boards and committees over the years, including the...
Ember from Burning Brush Pile Ignites House
Ember from Burning Brush Pile Ignites House

Ember from Burning Brush Pile Ignites House

On Wednesday, September 20, 2023, at 5:03 p.m., the Lee's Summit Fire Department responded to a structure fire in the 1500 Block of SW Highway Lane. A passerby reported smoke and fire from the house's roof with no one around. When the fire department arrived, smoke was visible from the roof of a one-story, single-family vacant residence under renovation. A worker was in the backyard attempting to extinguish a brush pile fire near the house.  The...
First6810Last