Search Press Releases

Press Release Archive

Press Releases

  |   Views: 1326

Bush Fire Ignited by Fireworks Spreads to House

Bush Fire Ignited by Fireworks Spreads to House

On Sunday, February 11, 2024, at 9:52 p.m., the Lee's Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire in the 1200 Block of North Ranson Road in Greenwood, Missouri. Callers said fireworks caught a bush on fire next to the house, and it spread to the building.

When the fire department arrived, smoke was visible from the eaves of a one-story, single-family residence. All of the occupants were safe outside. Firefighters extinguished the fire outside the house as they went inside to remove portions of the ceiling to extinguish the fire burning in the attic. The fire was under control by 10:15 p.m.

The fire originated in a bush on the side of the house. It spread to the attic through the eave, causing extensive damage to a portion the attic, with damage to the living area from water and crews having to remove the ceilings to get to the fire.

Fireworks to celebrate the Super Bowl victory are likely to have started the fire. The Greenwood Police Department is investigating.

Print

Latest Press Releases

Closed Bedroom Door Gives Time To Escape Fire
Closed Bedroom Door Gives Time To Escape Fire

Closed Bedroom Door Gives Time To Escape Fire

LEE’S SUMMIT, MO— On Thursday, September 17, 2020, at 3:30 a.m. the Lee’s Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire in the 1200 Block of NE Country Lane. The occupant was awakened by the smoke alarms. The closed bedroom door kept out the heat and smoke that blocked his escape down the hallway. The occupant was able to get out of the house from a bedroom window and go to a neighbor’s house and have them call 911. When the...
Wyatt and Crystal Durgan Named Citizens of the Year
Wyatt and Crystal Durgan Named Citizens of the Year

Wyatt and Crystal Durgan Named Citizens of the Year

Lee’s Summit Mayor Bill Baird has selected Wyatt and Crystal Durgan as the 2020 Citizen of the Year recipients for their unwavering devotion to the improvement of students’ lives in Lee’s Summit, providing them with the tools for future success. They will be honored at the Truman Heartland Community Foundation’s Toast to Our Towns Gala on Sept. 26. Wyatt and Crystal Durgan have made an unforgettable mark on the Lee’s Summit community,...
Lee’s Summit Unveils Plan for Downtown Farmer’s Market and Conservatory
Lee’s Summit Unveils Plan for Downtown Farmer’s Market and Conservatory

Lee’s Summit Unveils Plan for Downtown Farmer’s Market and Conservatory

Lee’s Summit Mayor Bill Baird presented a conceptual plan and potential funding program for the Downtown Farmer’s Market and Conservatory to City Council at its July 21 meeting. Following the presentation, City Council gave City Manager Steve Arbo approval to proceed with a request for qualification to identify a master developer for the project, which will include a mix of public and private spaces. “This is an exciting moment for our community....
City of Lee’s Summit Hosts Blood Drive July 27 and July 28
City of Lee’s Summit Hosts Blood Drive July 27 and July 28

City of Lee’s Summit Hosts Blood Drive July 27 and July 28

The City of Lee’s Summit, in partnership with the Community Blood Center, is hosting a blood drive on July 27 and July 28 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Gamber Community Center, 4 SE Independence Ave. The COVID-19 pandemic has resulted in a critical blood shortage due to the cancellation of blood drives during the past several months. The Community Blood Center says a seven-day inventory of all blood types must be continually replenished to maintain a safe...
Apartment Building Fire
Apartment Building Fire

Apartment Building Fire

             LEE’S SUMMIT, MO— On Tuesday, July 14, 2020 at 7:29 a.m., the Lee’s Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire in the 500 Block of SW Mission Rd. Multiple callers reported smoke and fire coming from the apartment building.   When the fire department arrived, the front of the two-story, four-unit apartment building was well involved in fire. The stairs on the front of the...
First303234Last