Search Press Releases

Press Release Archive

Press Releases

  |   Views: 1325

Bush Fire Ignited by Fireworks Spreads to House

Bush Fire Ignited by Fireworks Spreads to House

On Sunday, February 11, 2024, at 9:52 p.m., the Lee's Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire in the 1200 Block of North Ranson Road in Greenwood, Missouri. Callers said fireworks caught a bush on fire next to the house, and it spread to the building.

When the fire department arrived, smoke was visible from the eaves of a one-story, single-family residence. All of the occupants were safe outside. Firefighters extinguished the fire outside the house as they went inside to remove portions of the ceiling to extinguish the fire burning in the attic. The fire was under control by 10:15 p.m.

The fire originated in a bush on the side of the house. It spread to the attic through the eave, causing extensive damage to a portion the attic, with damage to the living area from water and crews having to remove the ceilings to get to the fire.

Fireworks to celebrate the Super Bowl victory are likely to have started the fire. The Greenwood Police Department is investigating.

Print

Latest Press Releases

Lee’s Summit Offers Two Locations for Drug Take-Back Day
Lee’s Summit Offers Two Locations for Drug Take-Back Day

Lee’s Summit Offers Two Locations for Drug Take-Back Day

The Lee’s Summit Police Department, in partnership with Lee’s Summit CARES, is offering two drive-thru locations from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Oct. 24 as part of National Prescription Drug Take-Back Day. Unused medications can be safely and conveniently dropped off at the Lee’s Summit Police Department, 10 NE Tudor Rd., or Lee’s Summit Medical Center, 2100 SE Blue Pkwy. Representatives from the Lee’s Summit Police Department will be at...
Fire Heavily Damages Lee's Summit Home
Fire Heavily Damages Lee's Summit Home

Fire Heavily Damages Lee's Summit Home

On Monday, October 12, 2020, at 7:46 p.m. the Lee’s Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire in the 800 Block of NE Bryant Drive. The occupants of the home were alerted when the smoke alarms sounded and the doorbell started to ring. An investigation by the occupants found smoke on the second floor coming from the attic. The occupants called 911 and evacuated the house. When the fire department arrived, heavy smoke was coming from the...
As Fire Prevention Week™ approaches, Lee’s Summit Fire Department remind residents: “Serve Up Fire Safety in the Kitchen!™
As Fire Prevention Week™ approaches, Lee’s Summit Fire Department remind residents: “Serve Up Fire Safety in the Kitchen!™

As Fire Prevention Week™ approaches, Lee’s Summit Fire Department remind residents: “Serve Up Fire Safety in the Kitchen!™

Fire Prevention Week is October 4-10, and the Lee’s Summit Fire Department is teaming up with the National Fire Protection Association® (NFPA) to promote this year’s Fire Prevention Week campaign, “Serve Up Fire Safety in the Kitchen!” The campaign works to educate everyone about simple but important actions they can take to keep themselves and those around them safe.  According to NFPA, cooking is the leading cause of home fires...
Lee’s Summit Seeks Proposals for Downtown Market Plaza

Lee’s Summit Seeks Proposals for Downtown Market Plaza

The City of Lee’s Summit has issued a request for qualifications to solicit interested master development and professional management firms to partner with the City and the Downtown Community Improvement District for the mixed-use Downtown Market Plaza redevelopment project. The deadline for firms to submit their proposals is 5 p.m. on Oct. 30. Mayor Bill Baird presented a conceptual plan for the Downtown Market Plaza to City Council in July, which would be...
Lee’s Summit to Host Blood Drive Sept. 28 at Gamber Community Center

Lee’s Summit to Host Blood Drive Sept. 28 at Gamber Community Center

The City of Lee’s Summit, in partnership with the Community Blood Center, will host a community blood drive on Sept. 28 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the Gamber Community Center, 4 SE Independence Ave. The COVID-19 pandemic has resulted in a critical shortage of blood due to the cancellation of blood drives. The Community Blood Center says the start of the school year typically results in more donations as many high schools and colleges host blood drives....
First293133Last