Search Press Releases

Press Release Archive

Press Releases

  |   Views: 1471

Extension Cords Used with a Space Heater Causes Fire

Extension Cords Used with a Space Heater Causes Fire

On Tuesday, January 16, 2024, at 10:46 a.m., the Lee's Summit Fire Department responded to a structure fire in the 300 Block of NE Parks Edge Place. The occupants smelled smoke but did not see anything. When the smoke alarms started to sound, they discovered smoke from the basement stairs and a fire. They called 911 and evacuated the building.  

When the fire department arrived, smoke was visible inside a two-story, single-family residence. Everyone was outside except for the dog.

Firefighters entered the smoke-filled building to the finished basement to extinguish the fire. A search of the structure confirmed that everyone was out. Firefighters found the dog under the bed upstairs and returned it to the owners. The dog appeared to be okay. The fire was contained to the basement. The incident was under control by 11:07 a.m.  

The basement sustained significant fire damage, with heat and smoke damage to the first floor near the stairs to the basement. Smoke damage varied throughout the remainder of the house.   

The fire originated in the basement. The fire cause is electrical in origin due to using a space heater with a power strip and extension cord.   

Print

Latest Press Releases

Closed Bedroom Door Gives Time To Escape Fire
Closed Bedroom Door Gives Time To Escape Fire

Closed Bedroom Door Gives Time To Escape Fire

LEE’S SUMMIT, MO— On Thursday, September 17, 2020, at 3:30 a.m. the Lee’s Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire in the 1200 Block of NE Country Lane. The occupant was awakened by the smoke alarms. The closed bedroom door kept out the heat and smoke that blocked his escape down the hallway. The occupant was able to get out of the house from a bedroom window and go to a neighbor’s house and have them call 911. When the...
Wyatt and Crystal Durgan Named Citizens of the Year
Wyatt and Crystal Durgan Named Citizens of the Year

Wyatt and Crystal Durgan Named Citizens of the Year

Lee’s Summit Mayor Bill Baird has selected Wyatt and Crystal Durgan as the 2020 Citizen of the Year recipients for their unwavering devotion to the improvement of students’ lives in Lee’s Summit, providing them with the tools for future success. They will be honored at the Truman Heartland Community Foundation’s Toast to Our Towns Gala on Sept. 26. Wyatt and Crystal Durgan have made an unforgettable mark on the Lee’s Summit community,...
Lee’s Summit Unveils Plan for Downtown Farmer’s Market and Conservatory
Lee’s Summit Unveils Plan for Downtown Farmer’s Market and Conservatory

Lee’s Summit Unveils Plan for Downtown Farmer’s Market and Conservatory

Lee’s Summit Mayor Bill Baird presented a conceptual plan and potential funding program for the Downtown Farmer’s Market and Conservatory to City Council at its July 21 meeting. Following the presentation, City Council gave City Manager Steve Arbo approval to proceed with a request for qualification to identify a master developer for the project, which will include a mix of public and private spaces. “This is an exciting moment for our community....
City of Lee’s Summit Hosts Blood Drive July 27 and July 28
City of Lee’s Summit Hosts Blood Drive July 27 and July 28

City of Lee’s Summit Hosts Blood Drive July 27 and July 28

The City of Lee’s Summit, in partnership with the Community Blood Center, is hosting a blood drive on July 27 and July 28 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Gamber Community Center, 4 SE Independence Ave. The COVID-19 pandemic has resulted in a critical blood shortage due to the cancellation of blood drives during the past several months. The Community Blood Center says a seven-day inventory of all blood types must be continually replenished to maintain a safe...
Apartment Building Fire
Apartment Building Fire

Apartment Building Fire

             LEE’S SUMMIT, MO— On Tuesday, July 14, 2020 at 7:29 a.m., the Lee’s Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire in the 500 Block of SW Mission Rd. Multiple callers reported smoke and fire coming from the apartment building.   When the fire department arrived, the front of the two-story, four-unit apartment building was well involved in fire. The stairs on the front of the...
First303234Last