Search Press Releases

Press Release Archive

Press Releases

  |   Views: 1471

Extension Cords Used with a Space Heater Causes Fire

Extension Cords Used with a Space Heater Causes Fire

On Tuesday, January 16, 2024, at 10:46 a.m., the Lee's Summit Fire Department responded to a structure fire in the 300 Block of NE Parks Edge Place. The occupants smelled smoke but did not see anything. When the smoke alarms started to sound, they discovered smoke from the basement stairs and a fire. They called 911 and evacuated the building.  

When the fire department arrived, smoke was visible inside a two-story, single-family residence. Everyone was outside except for the dog.

Firefighters entered the smoke-filled building to the finished basement to extinguish the fire. A search of the structure confirmed that everyone was out. Firefighters found the dog under the bed upstairs and returned it to the owners. The dog appeared to be okay. The fire was contained to the basement. The incident was under control by 11:07 a.m.  

The basement sustained significant fire damage, with heat and smoke damage to the first floor near the stairs to the basement. Smoke damage varied throughout the remainder of the house.   

The fire originated in the basement. The fire cause is electrical in origin due to using a space heater with a power strip and extension cord.   

Print

Latest Press Releases

Lee’s Summit Offers Two Locations for Drug Take-Back Day
Lee’s Summit Offers Two Locations for Drug Take-Back Day

Lee’s Summit Offers Two Locations for Drug Take-Back Day

The Lee’s Summit Police Department, in partnership with Lee’s Summit CARES, is offering two drive-thru locations from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Oct. 24 as part of National Prescription Drug Take-Back Day. Unused medications can be safely and conveniently dropped off at the Lee’s Summit Police Department, 10 NE Tudor Rd., or Lee’s Summit Medical Center, 2100 SE Blue Pkwy. Representatives from the Lee’s Summit Police Department will be at...
Fire Heavily Damages Lee's Summit Home
Fire Heavily Damages Lee's Summit Home

Fire Heavily Damages Lee's Summit Home

On Monday, October 12, 2020, at 7:46 p.m. the Lee’s Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire in the 800 Block of NE Bryant Drive. The occupants of the home were alerted when the smoke alarms sounded and the doorbell started to ring. An investigation by the occupants found smoke on the second floor coming from the attic. The occupants called 911 and evacuated the house. When the fire department arrived, heavy smoke was coming from the...
As Fire Prevention Week™ approaches, Lee’s Summit Fire Department remind residents: “Serve Up Fire Safety in the Kitchen!™
As Fire Prevention Week™ approaches, Lee’s Summit Fire Department remind residents: “Serve Up Fire Safety in the Kitchen!™

As Fire Prevention Week™ approaches, Lee’s Summit Fire Department remind residents: “Serve Up Fire Safety in the Kitchen!™

Fire Prevention Week is October 4-10, and the Lee’s Summit Fire Department is teaming up with the National Fire Protection Association® (NFPA) to promote this year’s Fire Prevention Week campaign, “Serve Up Fire Safety in the Kitchen!” The campaign works to educate everyone about simple but important actions they can take to keep themselves and those around them safe.  According to NFPA, cooking is the leading cause of home fires...
Lee’s Summit Seeks Proposals for Downtown Market Plaza

Lee’s Summit Seeks Proposals for Downtown Market Plaza

The City of Lee’s Summit has issued a request for qualifications to solicit interested master development and professional management firms to partner with the City and the Downtown Community Improvement District for the mixed-use Downtown Market Plaza redevelopment project. The deadline for firms to submit their proposals is 5 p.m. on Oct. 30. Mayor Bill Baird presented a conceptual plan for the Downtown Market Plaza to City Council in July, which would be...
Lee’s Summit to Host Blood Drive Sept. 28 at Gamber Community Center

Lee’s Summit to Host Blood Drive Sept. 28 at Gamber Community Center

The City of Lee’s Summit, in partnership with the Community Blood Center, will host a community blood drive on Sept. 28 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the Gamber Community Center, 4 SE Independence Ave. The COVID-19 pandemic has resulted in a critical shortage of blood due to the cancellation of blood drives. The Community Blood Center says the start of the school year typically results in more donations as many high schools and colleges host blood drives....
First293133Last