Search Press Releases

Press Release Archive

Press Releases

  |   Views: 12360
  |   Categories: Fire Department Press Releases

As Fire Prevention Week™ approaches, Lee’s Summit Fire Department remind residents: “Serve Up Fire Safety in the Kitchen!™

As Fire Prevention Week™ approaches, Lee’s Summit Fire Department remind residents: “Serve Up Fire Safety in the Kitchen!™

Fire Prevention Week is October 4-10, and the Lee’s Summit Fire Department is teaming up with the National Fire Protection Association® (NFPA) to promote this year’s Fire Prevention Week campaign, “Serve Up Fire Safety in the Kitchen!” The campaign works to educate everyone about simple but important actions they can take to keep themselves and those around them safe. 

According to NFPA, cooking is the leading cause of home fires and home fire injuries in the United States, and the same is true for Lee’s Summit. Almost half (44%) of reported home fires started in the kitchen. Two-thirds (66%) of home cooking fires start with the ignition of food or other cooking materials.

Since the start of the COVID-19 Pandemic people have had to prepare meals at home or have taken up cooking as an activity for something to do, thus increasing the risk of a cooking fire. “We know cooking fires can be prevented, by simply not leaving food cooking unattended,” said Assistant Fire Chief Jim Eden. “Staying in the kitchen, using a timer, and avoiding distractions such as electronics or TV are steps everyone can take to keep families safe in their homes.”

The Lee’s Summit Fire Department encourages all residents to be safe in the kitchen by following these safety tips:

  • Never leave cooking food unattended; stay in the kitchen while you are frying, grilling, or broiling. If you have to leave, even for a short time, turn off the stove.
  • If you are simmering, baking, roasting, or boiling food, check it regularly, remain in the home while food is cooking, and use a timer to remind you that you’re cooking.
  • You have to be alert when cooking. Do not cook if you are sleepy, have taken medicine or drugs, or consumed alcohol that makes you drowsy.
  • Always keep an oven mitt and a pan lid nearby when you’re cooking. If a small grease fire starts, slide the lid over the pan to smother the flame, turn off the burner, and leave the pan covered until it is completely cool.
  • Have a “kid-free zone” of at least three feet around the stove and areas where hot food or drink is prepared or carried.

Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic the Lee’s Summit Fire Department has temporarily suspended all in-person public education activities in order to protect the public and responders. There are still a number of things that you can do at home to learn about fire safety and support of this year’s Fire Prevention Week campaign, “Serve Up Fire Safety in the Kitchen!”. For more information about cooking and home fire safety, visit www.fpw.org, or go to Lee’s Summit Fire Department’s Facebook page.

In addition to cooking safety, make sure your home is safe by having working smoke alarms on every level of the home, in every bedroom, and hallways to sleeping areas. Change alarm batteries at least once a year, replace smoke alarms that are more than 10 years old, and have an escape plan to get out.

                                                            

Print

Latest Press Releases

Lee’s Summit Water Utilities Receives Two Customer Service Awards
Lee’s Summit Water Utilities Receives Two Customer Service Awards

Lee’s Summit Water Utilities Receives Two Customer Service Awards

Lee’s Summit Water Utilities is proud to announce the receipt of two prestigious customer service awards recognizing its commitment to excellence in serving the Lee’s Summit community. The ETC Institute’s Leading the Way award was given to Lee’s Summit Water Utilities to recognize its ranking in the top 10% of municipalities for outstanding performance in core areas assessed in the DirectionFinder® Survey. During 2023, ETC Institute...
Bush Fire Ignited by Fireworks Spreads to House
Bush Fire Ignited by Fireworks Spreads to House

Bush Fire Ignited by Fireworks Spreads to House

On Sunday, February 11, 2024, at 9:52 p.m., the Lee's Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire in the 1200 Block of North Ranson Road in Greenwood, Missouri. Callers said fireworks caught a bush on fire next to the house, and it spread to the building. When the fire department arrived, smoke was visible from the eaves of a one-story, single-family residence. All of the occupants were safe outside. Firefighters extinguished the fire outside...
House Fire Sends One Person to the Hospital
House Fire Sends One Person to the Hospital

House Fire Sends One Person to the Hospital

 On Saturday, February 3, 2024, at 1:37 a.m., the Lee's Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire at the Rising Star Ranch, 2807 NW Chipman Road. An occupant of a house at the ranch called 911 to report an explosion and fire with one person injured. When the fire department arrived, a small one-story house and a nearby utility trailer were heavily involved in the fire. The occupants of the house were outside. One of the occupants was...
City of Lee’s Summit Statement on Stadium Sales Tax

City of Lee’s Summit Statement on Stadium Sales Tax

The City of Lee’s Summit’s Legislative and Intergovernmental Relations Committee released the following statement related to the actions of the Jackson County Legislature and the county executive as they pertain to the Chiefs and Royals stadiums: “For more than 50 years the Kansas City Chiefs and Royals have been significant contributors to the economy of Jackson County, the state of Missouri and the bi-state area. The citizens of Jackson County...
Extension Cords Used with a Space Heater Causes Fire
Extension Cords Used with a Space Heater Causes Fire

Extension Cords Used with a Space Heater Causes Fire

On Tuesday, January 16, 2024, at 10:46 a.m., the Lee's Summit Fire Department responded to a structure fire in the 300 Block of NE Parks Edge Place. The occupants smelled smoke but did not see anything. When the smoke alarms started to sound, they discovered smoke from the basement stairs and a fire. They called 911 and evacuated the building.   When the fire department arrived, smoke was visible inside a two-story, single-family residence. Everyone...
135Last