COVID-19 Information - Stay up to date on mask orders, guidelines, vaccine, testing and local information.

Search Press Releases

Press Release Archive

Press Releases

  |   Views: 3331
  |   Categories: Fire Department Press Releases

As Fire Prevention Week™ approaches, Lee’s Summit Fire Department remind residents: “Serve Up Fire Safety in the Kitchen!™

As Fire Prevention Week™ approaches, Lee’s Summit Fire Department remind residents: “Serve Up Fire Safety in the Kitchen!™

Fire Prevention Week is October 4-10, and the Lee’s Summit Fire Department is teaming up with the National Fire Protection Association® (NFPA) to promote this year’s Fire Prevention Week campaign, “Serve Up Fire Safety in the Kitchen!” The campaign works to educate everyone about simple but important actions they can take to keep themselves and those around them safe. 

According to NFPA, cooking is the leading cause of home fires and home fire injuries in the United States, and the same is true for Lee’s Summit. Almost half (44%) of reported home fires started in the kitchen. Two-thirds (66%) of home cooking fires start with the ignition of food or other cooking materials.

Since the start of the COVID-19 Pandemic people have had to prepare meals at home or have taken up cooking as an activity for something to do, thus increasing the risk of a cooking fire. “We know cooking fires can be prevented, by simply not leaving food cooking unattended,” said Assistant Fire Chief Jim Eden. “Staying in the kitchen, using a timer, and avoiding distractions such as electronics or TV are steps everyone can take to keep families safe in their homes.”

The Lee’s Summit Fire Department encourages all residents to be safe in the kitchen by following these safety tips:

  • Never leave cooking food unattended; stay in the kitchen while you are frying, grilling, or broiling. If you have to leave, even for a short time, turn off the stove.
  • If you are simmering, baking, roasting, or boiling food, check it regularly, remain in the home while food is cooking, and use a timer to remind you that you’re cooking.
  • You have to be alert when cooking. Do not cook if you are sleepy, have taken medicine or drugs, or consumed alcohol that makes you drowsy.
  • Always keep an oven mitt and a pan lid nearby when you’re cooking. If a small grease fire starts, slide the lid over the pan to smother the flame, turn off the burner, and leave the pan covered until it is completely cool.
  • Have a “kid-free zone” of at least three feet around the stove and areas where hot food or drink is prepared or carried.

Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic the Lee’s Summit Fire Department has temporarily suspended all in-person public education activities in order to protect the public and responders. There are still a number of things that you can do at home to learn about fire safety and support of this year’s Fire Prevention Week campaign, “Serve Up Fire Safety in the Kitchen!”. For more information about cooking and home fire safety, visit www.fpw.org, or go to Lee’s Summit Fire Department’s Facebook page.

In addition to cooking safety, make sure your home is safe by having working smoke alarms on every level of the home, in every bedroom, and hallways to sleeping areas. Change alarm batteries at least once a year, replace smoke alarms that are more than 10 years old, and have an escape plan to get out.

                                                            

Print

Latest Press Releases

Garage Fire Heavily Damages Home
Garage Fire Heavily Damages Home

Garage Fire Heavily Damages Home

On Tuesday, July 13, 2021 at 10:17 p.m., the Lee’s Summit Fire Department responded to a structure fire in the 1100 Block of NE Noeleen Court. The occupant reported a fire in the garage and the house was being evacuated When the fire department arrived, the garage of the split-level, single-family home was heavily involved in fire and rapidly spreading up the front of the house to the floor above. The occupants of the house were safe...
Lee’s Summit Blood Drive July 19 & 20 to Help with Shortage
Lee’s Summit Blood Drive July 19 & 20 to Help with Shortage

Lee’s Summit Blood Drive July 19 & 20 to Help with Shortage

The City of Lee’s Summit, in partnership with the Community Blood Center, will host a blood drive from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on July 19 and July 20 at the City’s Maintenance Facility, 1971 SE Hamblen Rd. All presenting donors will receive either a free Royals T-shirt or hat. The Community Blood Center recently announced a blood emergency. Its blood supply is critically low to meet the needs of hospitals in the Kansas City metropolitan area, with 3,500...
Lee’s Summit Fireworks Regulations for Fourth of July

Lee’s Summit Fireworks Regulations for Fourth of July

In the City of Lee’s Summit, residents with a fireworks permit may discharge approved fireworks on July 3 from 10 a.m. to 11 p.m.; July 4 from 10 a.m. to midnight; and July 5 from 10 a.m. to 11 p.m. within city limits. A fireworks permit is free and can be obtained at City Hall, approved consumer fireworks tents or the City’s website. The City’s ordinance allows the possession and use of certain approved consumer fireworks (1.4G) within city...
Bob and Candy White Named Citizens of the Year
Bob and Candy White Named Citizens of the Year

Bob and Candy White Named Citizens of the Year

The City of Lee’s Summit is excited to announce Mayor Bill Baird has selected Bob and Candy White as the 2021 Citizen of the Year recipients for their commitment to strengthening the community through education and volunteer efforts. They will be honored at the Truman Heartland Community Foundation’s Toast to Our Towns Gala on Sept. 25. The Whites are actively engaged in a variety of activities and organizations that enhance Lee’s Summit. With...
Plumbing Work Ignites Wall

Plumbing Work Ignites Wall

LEE'S SUMMIT, MO—On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 11:12 a.m., the Lee’s Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire in the 4300 block of SW Ward Road. The caller reported they were connecting pipe in a wall and set the insulation on fire. When the fire department arrived, smoke was visible from the outside of a two-story, single-family residence. The occupant was safe outside. Crews entered the structure and found moderate smoke...
245Last