Search Press Releases

Press Release Archive

Press Releases

  |   Views: 2880

City Hosts RecycleFEST on Oct. 22 at Maintenance Facility

City Hosts RecycleFEST on Oct. 22 at Maintenance Facility

The City of Lee’s Summit is hosting its free RecycleFEST on Oct. 22 from 9 a.m. to noon at the City’s Maintenance Facility, 1971 SE Hamblen Road. RecycleFEST offers Lee’s Summit residents an opportunity to dispose of a variety of items in an environmentally friendly manner for free.

According to the Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries (ISRI), 66% of Americans will not recycle a product if it’s not easy or inconvenient to do so. Recycling and composting help save natural resources and creates cleaner land, air, water and better overall health for all. RecycleFEST collects materials that can be recycled and refurbished, reducing harm to the environment and saving landfill space.

The following list of items will be accepted:

  • Usable adult bicycles
  • Athletic shoes
  • Keys
  • Cell phones
  • Rechargeable batteries
  • Crayons
  • Eyeglasses
  • Hearing aids
  • License plates
  • Wine corks
  • Empty pill bottles, labels removed
  • Tennis balls
  • Golf balls

Residents are also encouraged to bring up to four paper grocery bags of sensitive documents per household to be shredded and then recycled. Paper clips and staples do not need to be removed; however, plastic covers and binders will not be accepted. This service will be available until the shred truck reaches capacity.

For more information about RecycleFEST, visit LSlandfill.net or call 969-1800.

Print

Latest Press Releases

Lee’s Summit Water Utilities Receives Two Customer Service Awards
Lee’s Summit Water Utilities Receives Two Customer Service Awards

Lee’s Summit Water Utilities Receives Two Customer Service Awards

Lee’s Summit Water Utilities is proud to announce the receipt of two prestigious customer service awards recognizing its commitment to excellence in serving the Lee’s Summit community. The ETC Institute’s Leading the Way award was given to Lee’s Summit Water Utilities to recognize its ranking in the top 10% of municipalities for outstanding performance in core areas assessed in the DirectionFinder® Survey. During 2023, ETC Institute...
Bush Fire Ignited by Fireworks Spreads to House
Bush Fire Ignited by Fireworks Spreads to House

Bush Fire Ignited by Fireworks Spreads to House

On Sunday, February 11, 2024, at 9:52 p.m., the Lee's Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire in the 1200 Block of North Ranson Road in Greenwood, Missouri. Callers said fireworks caught a bush on fire next to the house, and it spread to the building. When the fire department arrived, smoke was visible from the eaves of a one-story, single-family residence. All of the occupants were safe outside. Firefighters extinguished the fire outside...
House Fire Sends One Person to the Hospital
House Fire Sends One Person to the Hospital

House Fire Sends One Person to the Hospital

 On Saturday, February 3, 2024, at 1:37 a.m., the Lee's Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire at the Rising Star Ranch, 2807 NW Chipman Road. An occupant of a house at the ranch called 911 to report an explosion and fire with one person injured. When the fire department arrived, a small one-story house and a nearby utility trailer were heavily involved in the fire. The occupants of the house were outside. One of the occupants was...
City of Lee’s Summit Statement on Stadium Sales Tax

City of Lee’s Summit Statement on Stadium Sales Tax

The City of Lee’s Summit’s Legislative and Intergovernmental Relations Committee released the following statement related to the actions of the Jackson County Legislature and the county executive as they pertain to the Chiefs and Royals stadiums: “For more than 50 years the Kansas City Chiefs and Royals have been significant contributors to the economy of Jackson County, the state of Missouri and the bi-state area. The citizens of Jackson County...
Extension Cords Used with a Space Heater Causes Fire
Extension Cords Used with a Space Heater Causes Fire

Extension Cords Used with a Space Heater Causes Fire

On Tuesday, January 16, 2024, at 10:46 a.m., the Lee's Summit Fire Department responded to a structure fire in the 300 Block of NE Parks Edge Place. The occupants smelled smoke but did not see anything. When the smoke alarms started to sound, they discovered smoke from the basement stairs and a fire. They called 911 and evacuated the building.   When the fire department arrived, smoke was visible inside a two-story, single-family residence. Everyone...
1345Last