Search Press Releases

Press Release Archive

Press Releases

  |   Views: 11165
  |   Categories: Fire Department Press Releases

Hotel Fire Extinguished By Automatic Fire Sprinkler System

Hotel Fire Extinguished By Automatic Fire Sprinkler System

LEE’S SUMMIT, MO – On Friday, January 1, 2021, at 2:46 p.m., the Lee’s Summit Fire Department responded to reported structure fire at America’s Best Value Inn, 1020 SE Blue Parkway. The caller reported smoke in the first floor hallway, possibly coming from a meeting room. The hotel was being evacuated.

When the fire department arrived, there was nothing visible from the outside of the three-story hotel. Crews entered the building and found the building’s automatic fire sprinkler system had activated in the first floor meeting room and extinguished a fire involving a wall mounted heating, ventilation and air conditioning unit (HVAC). Water flow was discontinued from the sprinkler head and the area was checked for fire spread to the wall and second floor. A search of the entire building found a few occupants still in the building that were removed. Crews assisted with smoke removal from the building. The incident was under control by 3:14 p.m.

The fire was contained to the area of the HVAC unit with significant smoke damage to the meeting room, and minor damage to the hallway. The cause of the fire was determined to be a faulty HVAC unit.

Portions of the hotel were able to be reoccupied.

Print

Latest Press Releases

Fire Prevention Week is October 8-14
Fire Prevention Week is October 8-14

Fire Prevention Week is October 8-14

“Cooking safety starts with YOU. Pay attention to fire prevention.”

The Lee's Summit Fire Department is teaming up with the National Fire Protection Association® (NFPA®) to promote this year's Fire Prevention Week (FPW) campaign, "Cooking safety starts with you. Pay attention to fire prevention.” The campaign educates everyone about simple but important actions they can take when cooking to keep themselves and those around them safe.   According to NFPA, cooking is the leading cause of...
Rick Viar to Receive Civic Leadership Award
Rick Viar to Receive Civic Leadership Award

Rick Viar to Receive Civic Leadership Award

Rick Viar has been selected by Mayor Bill Baird to receive the 2023 West Gate Division of the Missouri Municipal League's Annual Civic Leadership Award. The award recognizes the outstanding contributions of business and civic leaders in developing stronger cities. Viar will be honored at a banquet on Oct. 26 at Belvoir Winery in Liberty. Viar is a dedicated community public servant who has served on numerous boards and committees over the years, including the...
Ember from Burning Brush Pile Ignites House
Ember from Burning Brush Pile Ignites House

Ember from Burning Brush Pile Ignites House

On Wednesday, September 20, 2023, at 5:03 p.m., the Lee's Summit Fire Department responded to a structure fire in the 1500 Block of SW Highway Lane. A passerby reported smoke and fire from the house's roof with no one around. When the fire department arrived, smoke was visible from the roof of a one-story, single-family vacant residence under renovation. A worker was in the backyard attempting to extinguish a brush pile fire near the house.  The...
Colbern Road Safety Improvement Work Begins September 5
Colbern Road Safety Improvement Work Begins September 5

Colbern Road Safety Improvement Work Begins September 5

The City of Lee’s Summit announced that work on the Colbern Road Improvements Project begins Sept. 5. The project will improve the safety and flow of traffic on Northwest Colbern Road between Northeast Douglas Street and Missouri Route 350 and will require that section of road to be closed to through traffic until spring 2025.   The first phase of construction will require a complete closure of Northwest Colbern Road from approximately Missouri Route...
Friday Evening Fire Damages Home

Friday Evening Fire Damages Home

On Friday, September 1, at 9:23 p.m., the Lee's Summit Fire Department responded to a structure fire in the 1000 Block of SW Whistle Drive. The occupant returned home Friday evening to find smoke coming from the house and called 911. When the fire department arrived, heavy smoke was coming from the garage, and fire was visible inside the two-story, single-family residence. The occupants were safe outside. Firefighters entered the building and knocked down...
First579Last