Search Press Releases

Press Release Archive

Press Releases

  |   Views: 10804

Lee’s Summit Hosting Blood Drive to Help with Critical Shortage

Lee’s Summit Hosting Blood Drive to Help with Critical Shortage

The City of Lee’s Summit, in partnership with the Community Blood Center, will host a community blood drive on Nov. 23 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Gamber Community Center, 4 SE Independence Ave. The Community Blood Center is experiencing a critical blood shortage due to the COVID-19 pandemic. All participating donors will receive a free limited edition Kansas City Chiefs T-shirt.

COVID-19 has forced the cancellation of thousands of blood drives, leaving the current blood supply well below what is needed to meet the needs of local hospitals. The Community Blood Center says it needs more than 4,000 donations every week to treat patients in the Kansas City metropolitan area.

Extra safety precautions are being taken at donation sites to prevent the spread of COVID-19. All donors are asked to wear a mask and temperatures will be checked at the door. A full list of safety protocols can be found at savealifenow.org/coronavirus.

Donors can register at savealifenow.org/group using the group code KCJN. There are certain requirements to donate blood. Donors must be at least 17 years old, weigh at least 115 pounds and be in good overall health. Donors can be 16 years old with written consent from a parent or legal guardian. It is also important to drink plenty of fluids and eat a good meal prior to donating blood.

Appointments are strongly recommended. Walk-ins will only be accepted as capacity allows.

Print

Latest Press Releases

Bush Fire Ignited by Fireworks Spreads to House
Bush Fire Ignited by Fireworks Spreads to House

Bush Fire Ignited by Fireworks Spreads to House

On Sunday, February 11, 2024, at 9:52 p.m., the Lee's Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire in the 1200 Block of North Ranson Road in Greenwood, Missouri. Callers said fireworks caught a bush on fire next to the house, and it spread to the building. When the fire department arrived, smoke was visible from the eaves of a one-story, single-family residence. All of the occupants were safe outside. Firefighters extinguished the fire outside...
House Fire Sends One Person to the Hospital
House Fire Sends One Person to the Hospital

House Fire Sends One Person to the Hospital

 On Saturday, February 3, 2024, at 1:37 a.m., the Lee's Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire at the Rising Star Ranch, 2807 NW Chipman Road. An occupant of a house at the ranch called 911 to report an explosion and fire with one person injured. When the fire department arrived, a small one-story house and a nearby utility trailer were heavily involved in the fire. The occupants of the house were outside. One of the occupants was...
City of Lee’s Summit Statement on Stadium Sales Tax

City of Lee’s Summit Statement on Stadium Sales Tax

The City of Lee’s Summit’s Legislative and Intergovernmental Relations Committee released the following statement related to the actions of the Jackson County Legislature and the county executive as they pertain to the Chiefs and Royals stadiums: “For more than 50 years the Kansas City Chiefs and Royals have been significant contributors to the economy of Jackson County, the state of Missouri and the bi-state area. The citizens of Jackson County...
Extension Cords Used with a Space Heater Causes Fire
Extension Cords Used with a Space Heater Causes Fire

Extension Cords Used with a Space Heater Causes Fire

On Tuesday, January 16, 2024, at 10:46 a.m., the Lee's Summit Fire Department responded to a structure fire in the 300 Block of NE Parks Edge Place. The occupants smelled smoke but did not see anything. When the smoke alarms started to sound, they discovered smoke from the basement stairs and a fire. They called 911 and evacuated the building.   When the fire department arrived, smoke was visible inside a two-story, single-family residence. Everyone...
Car Fire in Attached Garage Damages Fourplex
Car Fire in Attached Garage Damages Fourplex

Car Fire in Attached Garage Damages Fourplex

On Monday, January 15, 2024, at 4:45 p.m., the Lee's Summit Fire Department responded to a structure fire in the 5800 Block of NW Plantation Lane. Multiple 911 calls from neighbors reported a car fire in the garage spreading to the fourplex and an explosion.  When the fire department arrived, the fire heavily involved an attached, single-car garage of a two-story fourplex. All building occupants were safe outside. Firefighters quickly attacked the...
First246Last