Search Press Releases

Press Release Archive

Press Releases

  |   Views: 4469

Volunteers Needed for Stream Team Cleanup

Volunteers Needed for Stream Team Cleanup

The City of Lee’s Summit is looking for volunteers to participate in a Stream Team Cleanup on October 8. Volunteers will help remove litter and debris from a Prairie Lee tributary from 10 a.m. - noon at Upper Banner Park, 520 NE Noeleen Lane.

“Protecting our natural resources is a priority and this is a small way to invest in the community,” Environmentalist Specialist Kara Taylor said. “Stream Team cleanup events are an opportunity to not only restore the beauty of our streams but improve water quality, prevent flash floods and ultimately influence the overall health of our bodies of water downstream.”

The Stream Team is a volunteer effort coordinated by the City’s Public Works Department that involves collecting litter and debris from specific sections of local streams. Student and scout community service hours are available. Trash bags and gloves will be provided, and prizes will be awarded for the most unique items collected. Lunch will also be offered to all volunteers.

For more information, contact Public Works at publicworks@cityofls.net or 816-969-1800.

Print

Latest Press Releases

Lee’s Summit Water Utilities Receives Two Customer Service Awards
Lee’s Summit Water Utilities Receives Two Customer Service Awards

Lee’s Summit Water Utilities Receives Two Customer Service Awards

Lee’s Summit Water Utilities is proud to announce the receipt of two prestigious customer service awards recognizing its commitment to excellence in serving the Lee’s Summit community. The ETC Institute’s Leading the Way award was given to Lee’s Summit Water Utilities to recognize its ranking in the top 10% of municipalities for outstanding performance in core areas assessed in the DirectionFinder® Survey. During 2023, ETC Institute...
Bush Fire Ignited by Fireworks Spreads to House
Bush Fire Ignited by Fireworks Spreads to House

Bush Fire Ignited by Fireworks Spreads to House

On Sunday, February 11, 2024, at 9:52 p.m., the Lee's Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire in the 1200 Block of North Ranson Road in Greenwood, Missouri. Callers said fireworks caught a bush on fire next to the house, and it spread to the building. When the fire department arrived, smoke was visible from the eaves of a one-story, single-family residence. All of the occupants were safe outside. Firefighters extinguished the fire outside...
House Fire Sends One Person to the Hospital
House Fire Sends One Person to the Hospital

House Fire Sends One Person to the Hospital

 On Saturday, February 3, 2024, at 1:37 a.m., the Lee's Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire at the Rising Star Ranch, 2807 NW Chipman Road. An occupant of a house at the ranch called 911 to report an explosion and fire with one person injured. When the fire department arrived, a small one-story house and a nearby utility trailer were heavily involved in the fire. The occupants of the house were outside. One of the occupants was...
City of Lee’s Summit Statement on Stadium Sales Tax

City of Lee’s Summit Statement on Stadium Sales Tax

The City of Lee’s Summit’s Legislative and Intergovernmental Relations Committee released the following statement related to the actions of the Jackson County Legislature and the county executive as they pertain to the Chiefs and Royals stadiums: “For more than 50 years the Kansas City Chiefs and Royals have been significant contributors to the economy of Jackson County, the state of Missouri and the bi-state area. The citizens of Jackson County...
Extension Cords Used with a Space Heater Causes Fire
Extension Cords Used with a Space Heater Causes Fire

Extension Cords Used with a Space Heater Causes Fire

On Tuesday, January 16, 2024, at 10:46 a.m., the Lee's Summit Fire Department responded to a structure fire in the 300 Block of NE Parks Edge Place. The occupants smelled smoke but did not see anything. When the smoke alarms started to sound, they discovered smoke from the basement stairs and a fire. They called 911 and evacuated the building.   When the fire department arrived, smoke was visible inside a two-story, single-family residence. Everyone...
1345Last