Search Press Releases

Press Release Archive

Press Releases

  |   Views: 2024

Extension Cords Used with a Space Heater Causes Fire

Extension Cords Used with a Space Heater Causes Fire

On Tuesday, January 16, 2024, at 10:46 a.m., the Lee's Summit Fire Department responded to a structure fire in the 300 Block of NE Parks Edge Place. The occupants smelled smoke but did not see anything. When the smoke alarms started to sound, they discovered smoke from the basement stairs and a fire. They called 911 and evacuated the building.  

When the fire department arrived, smoke was visible inside a two-story, single-family residence. Everyone was outside except for the dog.

Firefighters entered the smoke-filled building to the finished basement to extinguish the fire. A search of the structure confirmed that everyone was out. Firefighters found the dog under the bed upstairs and returned it to the owners. The dog appeared to be okay. The fire was contained to the basement. The incident was under control by 11:07 a.m.  

The basement sustained significant fire damage, with heat and smoke damage to the first floor near the stairs to the basement. Smoke damage varied throughout the remainder of the house.   

The fire originated in the basement. The fire cause is electrical in origin due to using a space heater with a power strip and extension cord.   

Print

Latest Press Releases

Lee’s Summit Blood Drive for Hospital Patients
Lee’s Summit Blood Drive for Hospital Patients

Lee’s Summit Blood Drive for Hospital Patients

In partnership with the Community Blood Center, the City of Lee's Summit will host a blood drive on Monday, July 15 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the City’s Maintenance Facility located at 1971 SE Hamblen Road. The Community Blood Center is offering Royals t-shirts to donors while supplies last. The Community Blood Center says now more than ever is the time to donate. About 600 units of blood are needed daily to meet the needs of area hospital patients. As...
Dave Eames Named Citizen of the Year
Dave Eames Named Citizen of the Year

Dave Eames Named Citizen of the Year

The City of Lee’s Summit and Mayor Bill Baird are proud to name Dave Eames as the 2024 Citizen of the Year. Eames was chosen for his decades of service to Lee’s Summit through business and volunteerism and the positivity he brings to the Lee’s Summit community. In September he will be honored at the Truman Heartland Community Foundation’s Annual Citizens Reception and its Toast to Our Towns Gala.

Fireworks in Lee's Summit
Fireworks in Lee's Summit

Fireworks in Lee's Summit

If your Independence Day celebration plans include fireworks, remember to use them responsibly and follow local regulations and safety guidelines. For 2023, The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) received reports of eight deaths and an estimated 9,700 injuries involving fireworks. Out of the eight deaths, five were from firework misuse, two were from a device malfunction, and one involved unknown circumstances. In addition to injuries, there is an...
Procession for Captain Gene Martin
Procession for Captain Gene Martin

Procession for Captain Gene Martin

Captain Gene Martin's funeral service on June 20, 2024, will be followed by a procession to the cemetery between 12 PM and 1:30 PM. Below is a map link and directions to the cemetery that will pass by Lee's Summit Fire Station No.5 and Fire Headquarters. Anyone wishing to pay respects along the road is encouraged to do so along SE Douglas Street, but please do not park on the procession route. The procession route is as follows: From Holy Spirit Catholic...
Funeral Arrangements for Captain Gene Martin
Funeral Arrangements for Captain Gene Martin

Funeral Arrangements for Captain Gene Martin

It is with great sadness that the Lee’s Summit Fire Department and the Lee’s Summit Firefighter’s Association IAFF Local 2195 announce the death of Captain Gene Martin. Captain Martin died on June 14, 2024. Captain Martin served the Lee’s Summit Fire Department for 32 years and was a loving husband, father, and friend, and will receive active member honors. Visitation will be Wednesday, June 19, from 4 PM to 7 PM at Holy Spirit Catholic...
1345Last