Search Press Releases

Press Release Archive

Press Releases

  |   Views: 7456
  |   Categories: Fire Department Press Releases

Hotel Fire Extinguished By Automatic Fire Sprinkler System

Hotel Fire Extinguished By Automatic Fire Sprinkler System

LEE’S SUMMIT, MO – On Friday, January 1, 2021, at 2:46 p.m., the Lee’s Summit Fire Department responded to reported structure fire at America’s Best Value Inn, 1020 SE Blue Parkway. The caller reported smoke in the first floor hallway, possibly coming from a meeting room. The hotel was being evacuated.

When the fire department arrived, there was nothing visible from the outside of the three-story hotel. Crews entered the building and found the building’s automatic fire sprinkler system had activated in the first floor meeting room and extinguished a fire involving a wall mounted heating, ventilation and air conditioning unit (HVAC). Water flow was discontinued from the sprinkler head and the area was checked for fire spread to the wall and second floor. A search of the entire building found a few occupants still in the building that were removed. Crews assisted with smoke removal from the building. The incident was under control by 3:14 p.m.

The fire was contained to the area of the HVAC unit with significant smoke damage to the meeting room, and minor damage to the hallway. The cause of the fire was determined to be a faulty HVAC unit.

Portions of the hotel were able to be reoccupied.

Print

Latest Press Releases

Sunday Morning Townhome Fire
Sunday Morning Townhome Fire

Sunday Morning Townhome Fire

On Sunday, November 13, 2022, at 11:43 am, the Lee's Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire in the 1000 Block of NE Whispering Winds Court. A neighbor reported smoke coming from the townhome. When the fire department arrived, light smoke was visible from a two-story, four-unit townhome building. Several occupants had evacuated the building. Fire crews forced entry into the townhome and found moderate smoke on the first floor. Crews...
Groundbreaking Events for Lee’s Summit Fire Stations No. 4 & 5
Groundbreaking Events for Lee’s Summit Fire Stations No. 4 & 5

Groundbreaking Events for Lee’s Summit Fire Stations No. 4 & 5

The City of Lee’s Summit and the Lee’s Summit Fire Department will host groundbreaking ceremonies on Oct. 27 at 2 p.m. for the new Fire Station No. 4, and Nov. 3 at 2 p.m. for the new Fire Station No. 5. The ceremonies are open to the public and will be held at the new Fire Station No. 4 location, 5031 NE Lakewood Way, and the new Fire Station No. 5 located at 801 SW Lemans Lane. Site work will begin in the next few weeks and construction of the...
Mistletoe Madness One-Stop Shopping Event November 4th & 5th
Mistletoe Madness One-Stop Shopping Event November 4th & 5th

Mistletoe Madness One-Stop Shopping Event November 4th & 5th

Lee’s Summit Parks & Recreation is hosting Mistletoe Madness once again, your chance to cross names off your gift list in one stop!  The two-day event will be held Friday, November 4th from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Saturday, November 5th from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Gamber Community Center in Lee’s Summit, MO. Entry to Mistletoe Madness is FREE.  Gamber Community Center is located at 4 SE Independence Avenue just off 2nd Street and 291...
Fire Prevention Week is October 9-15 “Fire won’t wait. Plan your escape”
Fire Prevention Week is October 9-15 “Fire won’t wait. Plan your escape”

Fire Prevention Week is October 9-15 “Fire won’t wait. Plan your escape”

The Lee’s Summit Fire Department is teaming up with the National Fire Protection Association® (NFPA®)—to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Fire Prevention Week TM (FPW), October 9-15, 2022. This year’s FPW campaign, “Fire won’t wait. Plan your escape TM”, works to educate everyone about simple but important actions they can take to keep themselves and those around them safe from home fires.   Today’s...
Kitchen Fire Causes Significant Damage
Kitchen Fire Causes Significant Damage

Kitchen Fire Causes Significant Damage

On Tuesday, October 4, 2022, at 4:56 p.m., the Lee's Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire in the 2600 Block of NW Bent Tree Circle. The occupant called 911 and reported a fire in the kitchen. When the fire department arrived, light smoke was visible from a two-story, single-family residence. The occupant was safe outside. Firefighters quickly extinguished a fire involving the kitchen. A check of the remainder of the house confirmed...
1345Last