COVID-19 Information - Stay up to date on mask orders, guidelines, vaccine, testing and local information.

Search Fire Department News

Fire Department News Archive

Fire Department News

  |   Views: 1115
  |   Categories: Fire Department Press Releases

Plumbing Work Ignites Wall

LEE'S SUMMIT, MO—On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 11:12 a.m., the Lee’s Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire in the 4300 block of SW Ward Road. The caller reported they were connecting pipe in a wall and set the insulation on fire.

When the fire department arrived, smoke was visible from the outside of a two-story, single-family residence. The occupant was safe outside.

Crews entered the structure and found moderate smoke in the finished basement and first floor. Using a thermal imaging camera crews quickly located the fire in the wall and a portion of the basement ceiling. The concealed spaces were opened up and the fire was extinguished. The incident was under control by 11:29 a.m.

Fire damage was contained to the concealed spaces of the wall and ceiling in the basement. The remainder of the basement and first floor sustained significant smoke damage. The cause of the fire was determined to be from the occupant using a torch to connect pipe in the wall and embers ignited combustible building materials.   

Print

Latest News

Cooking Fire Contained to Garage

Cooking Fire Contained to Garage

LEE'S SUMMIT, MO—On Wednesday, December 2, 2020 at 5:57 p.m., the Lee’s Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire in the 5600 Block of NE Hidden Meadow Circle. A neighbor noticed the fire, called 911, and alerted the occupants of the house. When the fire department arrived, smoke and fire was coming from the garage of a two-story, single- family house. All of the occupants were reported to be safe outside. Firefighters quickly extinguished...
Burning Leaves and Yard Waste is Prohibited

Burning Leaves and Yard Waste is Prohibited

Burning Leaves and Yard Waste is Prohibited

Just a reminder, the burning of yard waste is prohibited in the City of Lee's Summit. This includes burning yard waste in fire pits and patio fireplaces.

Please dispose of leaves and other yard waste properly!
 

Fire Heavily Damages Lee's Summit Home

Fire Heavily Damages Lee's Summit Home

Fire Heavily Damages Lee's Summit Home
On Monday, October 12, 2020, at 7:46 p.m. the Lee’s Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire in the 800 Block of NE Bryant Drive. The occupants of the home were alerted when the smoke alarms sounded and the doorbell started to ring. An investigation by the occupants found smoke on the second floor coming from the attic. The occupants called 911 and evacuated the house. When the fire department arrived, heavy smoke was coming from the...
As Fire Prevention Week™ approaches, Lee’s Summit Fire Department remind residents: “Serve Up Fire Safety in the Kitchen!™

As Fire Prevention Week™ approaches, Lee’s Summit Fire Department remind residents: “Serve Up Fire Safety in the Kitchen!™

As Fire Prevention Week™ approaches, Lee’s Summit Fire Department remind residents: “Serve Up Fire Safety in the Kitchen!™
Fire Prevention Week is October 4-10, and the Lee’s Summit Fire Department is teaming up with the National Fire Protection Association® (NFPA) to promote this year’s Fire Prevention Week campaign, “Serve Up Fire Safety in the Kitchen!” The campaign works to educate everyone about simple but important actions they can take to keep themselves and those around them safe.  According to NFPA, cooking is the leading cause of home fires...
Closed Bedroom Door Gives Time To Escape Fire

Closed Bedroom Door Gives Time To Escape Fire

Closed Bedroom Door Gives Time To Escape Fire
LEE’S SUMMIT, MO— On Thursday, September 17, 2020, at 3:30 a.m. the Lee’s Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire in the 1200 Block of NE Country Lane. The occupant was awakened by the smoke alarms. The closed bedroom door kept out the heat and smoke that blocked his escape down the hallway. The occupant was able to get out of the house from a bedroom window and go to a neighbor’s house and have them call 911. When the...
245Last