Search Fire Department News

Fire Department News Archive

Fire Department News

  |   Views: 1475

Bush Fire Ignited by Fireworks Spreads to House

Bush Fire Ignited by Fireworks Spreads to House

On Sunday, February 11, 2024, at 9:52 p.m., the Lee's Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire in the 1200 Block of North Ranson Road in Greenwood, Missouri. Callers said fireworks caught a bush on fire next to the house, and it spread to the building.

When the fire department arrived, smoke was visible from the eaves of a one-story, single-family residence. All of the occupants were safe outside. Firefighters extinguished the fire outside the house as they went inside to remove portions of the ceiling to extinguish the fire burning in the attic. The fire was under control by 10:15 p.m.

The fire originated in a bush on the side of the house. It spread to the attic through the eave, causing extensive damage to a portion the attic, with damage to the living area from water and crews having to remove the ceilings to get to the fire.

Fireworks to celebrate the Super Bowl victory are likely to have started the fire. The Greenwood Police Department is investigating.

Print

Latest News

Fire Damages Manufacturing Business

Fire Damages Manufacturing Business

Fire Damages Manufacturing Business
On Wednesday, May 29, 2024, at 11:08 a.m., the Lee's Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire at 11 SW Industrial Drive at Newco Manufacturing. The caller reported a fire in the paint room.  When the fire department arrived, heavy smoke was visible from a large single-story commercial building. The fire quickly spread from the paint booth to a nearby storage area, partially collapsing the roof. Firefighters fought the fire from a...
Severe Weather Preparedness Week March 4-8

Severe Weather Preparedness Week March 4-8

Severe Weather Preparedness Week March 4-8
The Statewide Tornado Drill is Wednesday, March 6, at 11:00 am, weather permitting. The City of Lee's Summit will activate the outdoor warning systems, school receivers, and LS Aware for the drill. It's up to you to determine the best notification method for you and your family and where you will take shelter. Here are some essential tips to keep you prepared for severe weather: • Follow local forecasts any time severe weather is possible. Have...
Bush Fire Ignited by Fireworks Spreads to House

Bush Fire Ignited by Fireworks Spreads to House

Bush Fire Ignited by Fireworks Spreads to House
On Sunday, February 11, 2024, at 9:52 p.m., the Lee's Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire in the 1200 Block of North Ranson Road in Greenwood, Missouri. Callers said fireworks caught a bush on fire next to the house, and it spread to the building. When the fire department arrived, smoke was visible from the eaves of a one-story, single-family residence. All of the occupants were safe outside. Firefighters extinguished the fire outside...
House Fire Sends One Person to the Hospital

House Fire Sends One Person to the Hospital

House Fire Sends One Person to the Hospital
 On Saturday, February 3, 2024, at 1:37 a.m., the Lee's Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire at the Rising Star Ranch, 2807 NW Chipman Road. An occupant of a house at the ranch called 911 to report an explosion and fire with one person injured. When the fire department arrived, a small one-story house and a nearby utility trailer were heavily involved in the fire. The occupants of the house were outside. One of the occupants was...
Extension Cords Used with a Space Heater Causes Fire

Extension Cords Used with a Space Heater Causes Fire

Extension Cords Used with a Space Heater Causes Fire
On Tuesday, January 16, 2024, at 10:46 a.m., the Lee's Summit Fire Department responded to a structure fire in the 300 Block of NE Parks Edge Place. The occupants smelled smoke but did not see anything. When the smoke alarms started to sound, they discovered smoke from the basement stairs and a fire. They called 911 and evacuated the building.   When the fire department arrived, smoke was visible inside a two-story, single-family residence. Everyone...
1345Last