Floodplain Information


Some NFIP publications are located in Lee's Summit City Hall. All of the current NFIP publications are located on FEMA's NFIP publications webpage to provide valuable information for residents and businesses located in the SFHA. In addition, helpful flood resources and publications are available on the State Emergency Management Agency's (SEMA)floodplain management webpage.

Preparing for a Flood in Your Neighborhood

After the Flood Quick Guide

Why Do I Need Flood Insurance     

Increased Cost of Compliance Coverage (English)     

Above the Flood: Elevating your Floodprone House

Answers to Questions About Substantially Damaged Buildings

Elevated Residential Structures

Protecting Manufactured Homes from Floods and Other Hazards

Protecting Building Utility Systems from Flood Damage

Reducing Damage from Localized Flooding

Standard homeowner and commercial property insurance policies do not cover flood losses. However, the City has participated in Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)'s National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) since 1978 so all residents can have access to flood insurance regardless of proximity to the FEMA-designated 100-year floodplain, also known as Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA).


Residential and commercial buildings located in the SFHA with mortgages or loans from federally-backed lenders are required to carry flood insurance. Flood insurance rates are determined by FEMA and are available from an insurance agent. For more information on flood insurance rates, requirements and claims visit FloodSmart or ReduceFloodRisk.


Properties Located in a Designated Floodplain

The NFIP publishes Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs) that identify SFHAs for communities. The most recent FIRMs for the City of Lee's Summit are effective as of January 20, 2017.

FEMA's Flood Map Service Center provides easy electronic FIRMs for public use. The City has prepared step-by-step instructions to aid residents and businesses in finding a property on FEMA's Flood Map Service Center.

If a resident or business feels their property has been incorrectly included in the SFHA, they can request a Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA) from FEMA, after reviewing FEMA's LOMA fact sheet. In most cases, a legal survey and a complete and accurate Elevation Certificate will be required as part of the process (refer to FEMA's Elevation Certificate checklist for assistance in proper Elevation Certificate preparation). 

Any type of work to be performed in the designated SFHA (including earthwork, fill, excavation and tree clearing), requires a Floodplain Development Permit from the City engineer before starting any such work. For information on the permit and other floodplain-related regulatory documents, visit Floodplain Development Permit