Localized flooding can occur from heavy rain events during short amounts of time.
Residents can help reduce potential flooding by:
- Properly disposing of waste items such as leaves, grass
clippings, branches, trash, concrete and fireworks rather than
illegally disposing of these items in storm drains.
- Ensuring that french drains and down spouts are properly
directed away from foundations.
- Ensuring that individual residential yards are properly graded
to allow stormwater to flow instead of pond.
- Landscaping with native plants, which have longer root
systems that absorb more surface water.
Flash flooding can also occur from heavy rains during short amounts of time.
Residents can help ensure personal safety during flooding by:
- Not driving through ANY depth of flood waters. TURN AROUND, DON'T DROWN.
- Keeping children and pets away from flood waters.
- Reporting flooded streets to Public Works.