Infrastructure Maintenance

The Public Works Department is responsible for maintenance of publically-owned infrastructure in the City*. If you would like to request maintenance, contact the Public Works Department at 816.969.1800 or

*I-470, US-50, M-291 and M-150 along with the respective interchanges and frontage roads are generally owned and maintained by the Missouri Department of Transportation (MoDOT), 888-Ask-MoDOT (888-275-6636). Any maintenance requests for the state highway system should be directed to MoDOT. As noted below, many streetlights within the City are owned and maintained by Evergy. 

Street Potholes
Potholes occur throughout City streets as a result of adverse weather, heavy traffic, etc. Potholes will be repaired within one working day of notification, weather permitting.

Right-of-Way (ROW) Mowing/Weeding
More than 450 acres of ROW are mowed by the City each year, including various medians, ROW along arterial streets that are adjacent to agriculturally-zoned rural undeveloped property, and City-owned property. Weeding is generally performed where the City mows. The City only performs maintenance on "Public Trees," trees planted and owned by the City in the right-of-way and trees located on City owned property.  NOTE: it is the responsibility of individual property owners to mow, weed and maintain vegetation including trees located in the ROW along their property. Vegetation/Tree Ordinance

Right-of-Way (ROW) Debris/Litter
Public Works does offer Trash Services, curbside residential or commercial recycling services, or yard work services. However, volunteer opportunities are available for trash/litter clean-up activities through the Adopt-A-Street Program. 

The Public Works Department generally performs maintaince and repairs of sidewalks along public street ROW and City owned property; however, sidewalks along private roads or alleys, and upon private property are the responsibility of the private property owner to maintain.  NOTE: snow, leaves, dirt and debris removal from sidewalks adjacent to private property is the responsibility of the private property owner. Vegetation/Tree Ordinance

Curb may be repaired with either an asphalt patch, which is the most efficient and least costly method for repairs of small, isolated issues, or the entire curb may be replaced if offsets are causing drainage issues, or if d-cracking is so severe that extensive patching would have a very short lifespan. Contact Public Works if you would like to have a small area of curb evaluated.

Street Sweeping
Using a street sweeper, the Public Works Department sweeps every curbed street within the City (more than 740 miles of streets and 900 cul-de-sacs) each year, at the following frequency:

  • Primary routes:  4 times/year
  • Secondary routes:  2 times/year
  • Residential routes:  2 times/year
  • Downtown district:  as needed

The City owns and maintains over 2,000 streetlights, generally along primary roads as listed below:

3rd Street Colbern Road Gregory Blvd. Persels Road Shenandoah Drive
Blackwell Road/Parkway Douglas Street Jefferson Street Pryor Road Todd George Road
Blue Parkway Downtown District Langsford Road Ralph Powell Road Tudor Road
Chipman Road   Lakewood Boulevard Scruggs Road Ward Road
    Longview Road   Woods Chapel Road

Streetlights along I-470, US-50, M-291 and other state roadways and highway interchages are owned and maintained by the Missouri Department of Transportation, Kansas City District, 888-Ask-MoDOT (888-275-6636).  All other streetlights in the City, including most streetlights in residential areas, are leased by the City, but owned and maintained by Evergy888.471.5275.  When requesting maintenance, please contact the applicable owner, identify nearest address or street intersection and, if possible, the identification number on the light pole, to expedite the response.

Traffic Control
The Public Works Department maintains and repairs traffic signals, pavement markings, signs, and other traffic control devices located in the City's ROW. Traffic signals, markings, signs, and other traffic control devices located along I-470, US-50, M-291, M-150 and Ranson Road (Route RA), along with the respective interchanges and state frontage roads, are owned and maintained by MODOT, Kansas City District, 888-Ask-MoDOT (888-275-6636).  NOTE: There are private streets and alleys as well as ROW subject to maintenance agreements by other entities (for example Kansas City, MO for portions of View High Drive).