2019 Cultural Arts Grants
Grant Eligibility Criteria
Grant eligibility requirements have changed. Please review prior to applying.
Types of Grants Funded
• General Operating Support (up to $2,500)
• Project Support (up to $2,500)
• 501(c)3 Tax Exempt Organizations.
• School Districts, School Department and Non-Academic units of Universities. For applications in which a school or university is the intended grant recipient, the applicant must enter into an intergovernmental agreement (IGA) with the City of Lee’s Summit. The agreement is approved by Lee’s Summit City Council prior to the distribution of grant funds. This additional step may delay the processing of your grant award. If possible, consider applying through a 501(c)(3) affiliate.
• Individual Artists. For the purpose of funding public art installations, public performances, other public cultural activities.
• Applicants that reside or hold primary office in Lee’s Summit, or utilize grant funds entirely for activities held in Lee’s Summit.
• Applicants that have no outstanding final grant reports. Download a Final Grant Report below.
The Arts Council Does Not Fund
• More than 50% of the total operational or project budget costs.
• Costs associated with food and beverage, social events, receptions, or exhibit openings.
• Fundraising events, benefits or raffles.
• Prize, award or scholarship money given to an individual or group as part of a competition.
• Capital, equipment or other fixed assets or the maintenance, refurbishing or rehabilitation costs associated with any of these items.
• Reduction or elimination of debt.
• Booth space for festivals, fairs or networking events.
• Activities held outside the boundaries of Lee’s Summit. (The Arts Council may make exceptions to this restriction if the applicant can substantially demonstrate how the activity serves the cultural needs of Lee’s Summit residents.)
• Activities that are not open to the public.
If you have questions regarding your eligibility, please email the Cultural Arts Manager or call 816-969-1032 to discuss your project.
2019 Grant Application (FY2020) - For activities that take place between July 1, 2019 and June 30, 2020.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: August 1, 2019. 5:00pm. Email completed application materials to LSArtsCouncil@CityofLS.net. (Please note that the email address listed on the applications instruction document has a typo. Be sure to use the address above when submitting your application.)
Applications for the 2019 grant cycle have been updated to allow applicants the opportunity to provide more detailed information about their project.
Download Application Forms
Application and Instructions
Cultural Arts Grant Workshop
Thursday, June 13, 10:00 - 11:30 a.m.
Lee's Summit City Hall - Howard Conference Room (2nd Floor)
220 SE Green Street
Lee's Summit, MO 64063
It is recommended that new and returning applicants attend the grant workshop to learn about changes impacting the 2019 grant cycle. Information about the 2020 grant cycle will also be provided.
Grant Approval Process
Applications submitted by the deadline are reviewed to determine if eligibility requirements have been met and that all required documents have been submitted correctly. Applications deemed eligible for consideration are reviewed and scored by each Arts Council member. Typically, grant applications are reviewed and discussed at the August Arts Council meeting and recommendations for funding are made at this time. Grant applicants are informed of their funding status by early September.
Final Grant Report
Grantees must submit a Final Grant Report to the Arts Council. The deadline for a Final Grant Report is 30 days following the conclusion of a funded project/program for all project grants, or by June 30 for general operating grants. A Final Grant Report must be submitted prior to being considered for any future grants. Organizations or individuals with an outstanding Final Grant Report will not be allowed to submit a new grant application.
Download Final Grant Report