Cultural Arts Grant Application
The goal of the Cultural Arts Grants program is to enhance the vibrancy of Lee’s Summit by supporting activities that provide meaningful cultural experiences for our residents and surrounding neighbors. The Lee’s Summit Arts Council awards funding to programs that actively increase our residents’ participation in, awareness of, and affinity for the arts and our unique cultural heritage.
The information below pertains to activities that take place between July 1, 2020 and June 30, 2021.
Types of Grants Funded
General Operating Support (up to $2,500) - For requests to support the overall mission and ongoing operations of and organization. (Example: an annual performance season.)
Project Support (up to $2,500) - For requsts in which funding is restricted to support a specific program, project, activity or event that is a component of an organization's ongoing operations. Requires the submission of a separate project budget in addition to the organization's operating budget and financials. (Example: one specific performance or series out of an entire season, or a specific education or outreach program.)
Contact the Cultural Arts Manager at LSartscouncil@cityofLS.net or 816-969-1032 for question regarding eligibility.
In order to apply for a Cultural Arts Grant, the applicant must:
- Be a 501(c)3 tax-exempt nonprofit organization.
- Hold primary office in Lee’s Summit. Or, if the primary office for the oranization is located outside Lee's Summit, awarded grant funds must be used for activities that take place within city limits.
- Have no past due final grant reports by the application deadline.
Arts Council cannot fund the following activities:
- More than 50% of an organization’s total operational budget for General Operating requests.
- More than 50% of project costs for Project Grant requests.
- Example: Total project budget is $3,000. The maximum allowable request is $1,500.
- Costs associated with food and beverage, social events, receptions, or exhibit/gallery openings.
- Fundraising events, benefits or raffles.
- Prize, award or scholarship money given to an individual or group as part of a competition.
- Capital, equipment or other fixed assets or the maintenance, refurbishing or rehabilitation costs associated with any of these items.
- Reduction or elimination of debt.
- Booth space for festivals, fairs or networking events.
- Activities that are not open to the public (i.e. “donors only” or “members only” events.)
Access Cultural Arts Grant Online Application Form
You will be redirected to the online application form and instructions.
Application and Instructions
Timeline for the 2020 Grant Cycle
| January 10, 2020
||Grant application deadline for FY2021 (activities that take place between July 1, 2020 and June 30, 2021.) Initial staff review for eligibility.
| January 27, 2020
||Applications reviewed by grant committee. Recommendations for funding presented to Arts Council. Arts Council votes to approve the funding recommendations. Please note that the Arts Council is approving the recommendation for funding. Final finding approval is contigent upon CIty Council appropriations for the Cultural Arts Division made in June, 2020.
||Contingency award notices sent to grant recipients. This provides an expectation of what grantees may be awarded after City Council appropriations are approved in June.
||City Council approves FY21 City Budget, which includes appropriations for the Cultural Arts Grants.
||Award confirmation sent to grant recipients.
|July 15, 2020
||2019 Final Grant Report Deadline for funded activities that took place between July 1, 2019 and June 30, 2020. Please note that grant funds will be withheld until your organization's Final Grant Report for the previous year has been received by the Arts Council.