The Parks and Recreation Board consists of nine citizens, appointed by the mayor and confirmed by the City Council. One council member, appointed by the mayor, serves as a non-voting liaison. The City Council may review any action of the Board, except personnel actions, through a prescribed administrative hearing process.
The following is a list of duties assigned to the Park Board:
- Adopt by-laws, rules and regulations for their own guidance and for the governance of the parks, in conjunction with Missouri State Statutes;
- Control the supervision, improvement, care and custody of parks and recreation activities;
- Appoint, suspend or remove and render the annual performance review of the Parks and Recreation Administrator;
- Control the expenditure of all monies collected for and deposited to the credit of the parks and recreation fund;
- Acquire or dispose of real property; and,
- Submit to the Council, an annual report, on or before the second Monday of June, containing such information as the Council shall require.