Frequently Asked Questions

Below is a listing of common questions relating to the City of Lee's Summit Animal Control. To display the answer to a question,click on the question and the answer will display. 

General FAQs

The victim and the animal's owner must report any animal bite or scratch immediately to the Animal Control Department.  The animal will be placed under confinement for a ten-day period where it can be observed for signs of rabies.  This confinement period will need to be completed at the Municipal Animal Shelter or at a veterinary clinic within Lee's Summit.

All cats and dogs must be licensed prior to May 1 of each calendar year.  Pet owners must bring a certificate of rabies vaccination to City Hall or the Municipal Animal Shelter to prove that their pet has been immunized against rabies by a licensed veterinarian within the previous twelve month period.   Pets that are altered and permanently microchipped are eligible for a Lifetime City Pet License at the cost of $50.  When the animal is outdoors it is the owner's responsibility to make sure that the animal wears it, along with a current rabies tag, on a collar or harness.  Additionally, the owner must provide proof that their pet has been surgically altered (spay or neutered).  This is typically found on the rabies vaccination certificate, or you can bring an invoice from a veterinarian showing the surgery has been completed.  If  you have the post card notifying you that renewal is due, please bring that also. Neutered or altered pets are licensed yearly at a cost of $10.  For unaltered animals the cost of licensing is $45 yearly.   Additionally, you can now license your pet on-line and receive tags by mail. 

The city accepts cash, check or credit card to pay for pet license fees.

Pets that are outdoors must be effectively restrained by a chain, leash, or other device or they must be kept in a completely enclosed area from which they cannot escape, even when they are on their owner's properly.  If restrained by a leash or other device owners must follow the City's Tethering Ordinance.

City ordinance declares as a nuisance any dog that barks, howls or whines in an excessive fashion so as to disturb the sleep of a neighbor.  A formal complaint may be filed against the owner of such an animal if you, as the complainant, are willing to appear and testify in court.  As with any noise complaint, barking dog complaints may be handled by a police officer when an animal control officer is not on duty.

If  you observe any animal that is subjected to questionable living conditions, abuse, neglect, or extended periods of tethering please contact the Animal Control as soon as possible at 816-969-1640. 

Any area where an animal is kept must be clean at all times.  Additionally, pets are not allowed to deposit fecal matter on the property of others and owners are required to immediately clean up any pet waste that is deposited on public property.

The number of dogs and cats in one home is limited to any combination of three, over six months of age.

If you observe an injured animal, do not touch it as it may bite you out of fear or pain.  Call the Animal Control Department at 816-969-1640 as soon as possible so that the animal can be removed and treated for its injuries.

Please call the Animal Control Department so that it can be removed and disposed of in the proper manner.  If you, as the owner, have lost your pet the Animal Control Department may be contacted for removal.  The fee for the animal's removal and cremation is $12.50.

The City of Lee's Summit does not have any kind of breed specific legislation to ban the ownership of certain breeds of dogs.  City ordinance does, however, provide specific regulations for dogs that meet the criteria of "dangerous dogs."  If  you observe a dog that exhibits an aggressive attitude, it should be reported to the  Animal Control Department.

Upon occasion, the Animal Control Department may be needed to set a trap for a wild animal that has become a threat to public health or safety.  If you have a wildlife related problem or question, Animal Control can help you with finding a solution to the problem.  You may also be referred to the Missouri Department of Conservation.