LEE'S SUMMIT, MO— On Sunday, September 11, 2016, at 6:17p.m., the Lee’s Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire at 4211 SE Furlong Drive. The occupant of the house returned home after being gone for several hours and found a garage door partially open, and the other doors would not open. When he got out of the car to investigate, he could hear the smoke alarms sounding and could smell smoke. He attempted to enter the structure through several doors to determine the source of the smoke, but was pushed back and called 911. He was able to retrieve a dog in a kennel located near the back door. The dog was deceased.
When the fire department arrived, smoke was visible from a two-story, single family residence. All of the people living in the house were accounted for and safe outside.
Firefighters entered the smoke filled building to find fire burning in the kitchen, second floor, and attic. Firefighters ventilated the building and were able to quickly extinguish the fire. A search of the house confirmed that everyone was out. Several pets were located, but were deceased. The fire was under control by 7:33 p.m.
The fire heavily damaged the kitchen and burned through the ceiling to the second floor bedroom. The fire also spread to the attic through the spaces in the walls and between the floors. The remainder of the house sustained heavy heat and smoke damage.
The fire originated in the kitchen and is believed to be electrical in origin.