Lee’s Summit Visitors Bureau will be a 501(c)(6) organization. The bureau will serve as the official Destination Marketing Organization (DMO) for the Lee’s Summit community.
As the DMO, it will work to showcase the uniqueness of the City of Lee’s Summit as an attraction to tourists, visitors and individuals; to solicit groups, meetings, trade shows, exhibits, expositions and special events to take place in the City of Lee’s Summit through marketing, publications and other means of promotion as may be necessary or expedient to attract such tourists, visitors, individuals, groups, meetings, trade shows, exhibits, expositions and special events to the City of Lee’s Summit; to develop increased civic interest in the City of Lee’s Summit as a visitor attraction; to promote the distinctive resources of the City of Lee’s Summit; and to increase the economic contribution of tourism and the collection of tourism-related taxes for the City of Lee’s Summit.
Composed of twelve directors nominated as listed below, appointed by the mayor of Lee’s Summit and confirmed by the Lee’s Summit City Council. The Board of Directors shall consist as follows:
- Six (6) directors nominated by the mayor, including:
- One (1) representative from a lodging/hotel business in Lee’s Summit.
- One (1) representative from a restaurant/dining establishment in Lee’s Summit.
- One (1) representative from the Lee’s Summit Cultural Commission.
- One (1) representative from sports/recreation interests.
- Two (2) at-large representatives who are associated with the tourism, hospitality, entertainment industries, attractions, retail, finance, or special events, and who have demonstrated an interest in Lee’s Summit and its tourism promotion program.
- One (1) director nominated by Downtown Lee’s Summit Main Street Board.
- One (1) director nominated by the City's Economic Development Office Board.
- One (1) director nominated by the Lee's Summit Chamber of Commerce Board.
- Three (3) directors that are relevant City of Lee’s Summit staff members, including a representative from the City Manager’s Office, nominated by the city manager.
This is a new organization and the board will likely meet as frequently as monthly during the initial year.
Attendance and participation by appointees are critical to the board’s success. Appointees must be able to attend the initial bureau meetings on October 13, 2023, 4:30 - 7:30 p.m. and October 14, 2023, 8 a.m. - noon. Neither telephonic nor virtual attendance is available for these initial meetings.
For more information on the board’s duties and powers, attendance requirements, and organization view the Bylaws approved by Ordinance 9739.