Joe Snook Accepted to the American Academy of Park and Recreation Administration
Lee’s Summit Parks and Recreation (LSPR) is pleased to announce Joe Snook, Administrator of Lee’s Summit Parks & Recreation, has been accepted as a Fellow to the American Academy of Park and Recreation Administration (AAPRA). The AAPRA is an organization of 125 Fellows consisting of distinguished practitioners and scholars committed to the advancement of the park and recreation field.
Established in 1980, the Academy was formed to advance knowledge related to the administration of recreation and parks. Members must have served for at least 15 years in a high level of administration in a park and recreation agency or as a recognized educator in parks and recreation administration. Members must also have demonstrated outstanding ability in administration, management or education in the profession, displayed broad interest with a direct service benefit to the advancement of public parks and recreation or assumed leadership roles with a keen desire to contribute to the advancement of the field.
“It is an honor to become a member of the Academy,” Snook said. “I look forward to contributing to the mission of the Academy which is to advance parks and recreation by promoting broader public understanding of parks and recreation, conducting research, publishing scholarly papers and supporting seminars which advocate parks and recreation administration.”
Snook became LSPR’s Administrator in January of 2018. He has a Master’s of Science in Physical Education, Exercise and Sports Science from University of Central Missouri, and a Bachelors of Administration in Recreation from Bethany College. He is a Certified Park and Recreation Professional through the National Recreation and Parks Association (NRPA) and has completed several NRPA two-year programs including Director’s School, Revenue Development and Management School, and Maintenance Management School. At the state level, Snook received the Missouri Parks and Recreation Association (MPRA) Associate Fellows Award, the MPRA Municipal Section – Outstanding New Professional and has held offices including MRPA Secretary & Treasurer (2017 – 2019), MPRA Region I Director (2009 & 2010) and co-chaired the MRPA Facility Design and Management School (2007, 2008, 2011). He currently serves as Chair of the MPRA Study and Research Committee. Snook has been responsible or instrumental in the success of several large LSPR initiatives including:
- Obtaining Accreditation in 2003 and Reaccreditation in 2008, 2013 and 2018 through the Commission for Accreditation of Parks and Recreation Agencies (CAPRA).
- The establishment of a sales tax renewal educational campaign with successful renewals in 2006 and 2016.
- Completion of the NRPA Gold Medal application which lead to the department winning the NRPA Gold Medal Award in 2010.
- The design and construction of Legacy Park Community Center (opened in 2003).
- The design and construction of Summit Waves Aquatics Center (opened in 2008).
- The design and construction of the Gamber Community Center (opened in 2008).
- The renovation of Harris Park Community Center in 2010.
- The purchase and renovation of Longview Community Center in 2018.
- The design and construction of Summit Ice (opened in 2018).
- The development of two strategic plans.
- Business plan development for each cost center and facility operation.
- Development of the “Did You Know/Friends of the Parks” community outreach program which has been implemented in several states and communities.
- Oversight of the design and development of numerous parks, programs and special events.
“This past week I learned Joe had been admitted into the prestigious American Academy of Parks and Recreation Administration,” Tom Lovell, Lee’s Summit Parks and Recreation’s previous Administrator, said. “There are only 125 current members nationwide that have been recognized for outstanding leadership in the field of parks and recreation. This is an honor for Joe and our community.”
For additional information, please contact LSPR at 816-969-1500.