A link to the Special Event Permit Form is at the bottom of this page. Please read through the Special Event Permit information, approval policy and park rules before filling it out and submitting to Lee's Summit Parks & Recreation.
SPECIAL EVENT PERMIT INFORMATION
In order to adequately manage resources and ensure the availability of our facilities and amenities for all patrons, Lee’s Summit Parks and Recreation requires many activities and events to obtain a permit. Specifically, activities which are designed to benefit or accommodate a particular individual, group, or organization, as well as activities which require the use of a designated space for a specific purpose and length of time require a permit.
Lee’s Summit Parks and Recreation will consider applications for activities and events which are 1) compatible with the mission of Lee’s Summit Parks and Recreation, 2) able to be reasonably held at the requested site; and 3) which can be sustained without causing unacceptable impacts to LSPR resources. LSPR will not issue more than one permit per park, per day. Priority will be given to events which will be completed by 10:00am.
Applications must generally be submitted at least thirty (30) days prior to the date of the requested event. The Administrator of Parks and Recreation may waive this thirty (30) day requirement based upon the nature of the request and its’ impact on LSPR resources.
Following are the categories of activities which require a Permit:
Demonstrations: any demonstration, picketing, speechmaking, marching, holding vigils or religious services, and all other like forms of conduct involving communication or expression of views or grievances, engaged in by one or more persons, the conduct of which is reasonably likely to draw a crowd or onlookers.
Special Events: sports events, pageants, races, runs, community celebrations, entertainment activities, the use of any entertainment devices (i.e. bounce houses), exhibitions, parades, fairs, festivals, weddings, concerts or musical events, recitals, carnivals, the use of hot air balloons or other aviation apparatus, animals on display, the use of tents or other temporary structures exceeding 10’x10’, stages or booths, or and similar events which are engaged in by one or more persons, the conduct of which has the effect, intent, or propensity to draw a crowd or onlookers. This includes, specifically, any event which is made public through the use of social media or the media.
Activities and Events occurring under a Permit must comply with all Federal, State and local laws, ordinances and regulations, as applicable, as well as all Lee’s Summit Parks and Recreation rules, regulations, and policies in effect at the time of the Activity or Event. Lee’s Summit Parks and Recreation reserves the right to cancel a Permit in the event of a violation of any of the above or of any permit requirements.
Lee’s Summit Parks and Recreation reserves the right to cancel a Permit due to the potential of severe or dangerous weather conditions or in the event of an emergency. If cancelation is necessary for one of these reasons, a refund of all fees associated with the Permit will be issued.
Permits do not guarantee exclusive use of any park, facility or amenity. LSPR parks, facilities, and amenities shall remain open and available for public use during the Activity or Event. This includes, specifically, any patron’s ability to exercise their free speech, distribution of literature, collection of signatures, etc. during the Activity or Event under the Permit.
Fees: Permits for Demonstrations and Special Events are subject to a $100 fee. These fees cover application processing, staff time, and ancillary costs related to maintenance and restoration of the area following use to ensure costs associated with the event or activity is not imposed on taxpayers.
SPECIAL EVENT PERMIT GENERAL INFORMATION
The Special Event Permit is required for all park uses not conforming with our existing facility rental policy. It shall include concerts, walk-a-thons, runs and other such events requiring special consideration and treatment.
Lee’s Summit Parks and Recreation requires each of the following for all special event permit requests:
- A written request directed to the Administrator of Parks and Recreation at 220 SE Green St, Lee's Summit, MO 64063
- Name, address, and telephone number of the primary applicant or applicant representative.
- A $100.00 fee. Additional $1.00 per person for groups of 50 or more (e.g. walk-a-thons).
- Written assurance of medical staffing (if required).
The Park Board reserves the right to require a Certificate of Insurance evidencing coverage and listing the City of Lee’s Summit, Missouri as additional insured. Coverage limits may be established on a case by case basis taking into consideration the particular type of event or activity to be held and the relative risks associated therewith.
SPECIAL EVENT PERMIT REQUEST AND APPROVAL PROCESS
Individuals or groups requesting special use or reservation of areas, roadways, or facilities not normally reserved in accordance with this policy may make application, within the following guidelines, for consideration by the Administrator of Lee’s Summit Parks and Recreation.
- All requests shall be submitted in writing no less than 30 days prior to the date requested.
- All requests shall contain the following information:
- Name, address, and phone number of individual making request. In the case of an organization, the name, address, and phone number of the organization shall be submitted along with the same information for the responsible party/primary point of contact. In the case of organizations, Special Event Permits will be allowed only to formally organized and recognized groups, firms or corporations and will be reserved only for members of that organization or firm.
- Detail of location or facility requested including dates and times desired.
- Purpose of the request, including proposed use(s) requiring the Special Event Permit.
- Number of persons to attend or utilize the area or facility under the reservation.
- A statement addressing whether or not the planned activity or use is for commercial or profit purposes. Carnivals and gambling will not be allowed.
- A statement addressing whether or not fees will be charged. Any proposed fees for participation shall have prior Administrator of Parks and Recreation approval and may be subject to additional permits, including Vendor Permits. Any business conducted within the City limits require the appropriate business license(s).
- A summary of the event sufficient to identify needs with respect to the appropriateness of the facility.
- Permits will be issued or denied to organizations or individuals based on a review of the information provided and impact on the facility, area, and adjacent property owners.
- All current City Ordinances, Lee’s Summit Parks and Recreation Rules and Regulations and other applicable laws are to be observed.
- Lee’s Summit Parks and Recreation has authority to cancel the Special Use Permit for any violations of City Ordinance, permit requirements, Lee’s Summit Parks and Recreation Rules and Regulations or any other applicable law.
- Lee’s Summit Parks and Recreation reserves the right to cancel any permit due to severe or potentially dangerous weather conditions.
- If requested, the sponsoring individual and/or agency shall obtain and continuously maintain comprehensive general liability coverage covering the sponsor and the City of Lee’s Summit/ Lee’s Summit Parks and Recreation from liability that may arise from the special event or from any activities or actions pursuant to the event. Said policy shall indemnify and save harmless Lee’s Summit Parks and Recreation and the City of Lee’s Summit of and from any liability for bodily injury, property damage or any other claim whatsoever with respect to the use of the Lee’s Summit park facilities as herein set forth and provide Lee’s Summit Parks and Recreation a certificate of insurance indicating coverage naming the City of Lee’s Summit, Missouri as additional insured. This coverage must include bodily injury, property damage, public and automobile liability with minimum limits as determined by Lee’s Summit Parks and Recreation based upon factors including taking into consideration the particular type of event or activity to be held and the relative risks associated therewith.
- Lee’s Summit Parks and Recreation will not approve more than a total of one special event per park, per day, utilizing weekdays or weekend days. Priority will be given to events held on weekdays and events that will be completed by 10 am on either weekdays or weekends.
- A fee will be charged for each Special Event Permit.
The above guidelines apply to all requests other than Lee’s Summit Parks and Recreation sponsored events. Unusual requests, upon Lee’s Summit Parks and Recreation staff review, may be forwarded to the Lee’s Summit Parks and Recreation Board.
The following activities are NOT allowed in the parks.
- Damage of park property. (City Ordinance Chp. 17-85)
- Use of parks from 11:00 pm until 5:00 am. (City Ordinance Chp. 19-81 Art. III)
- Court play over one hour when others are waiting.
- Alcoholic beverages (without permit). (City Ordinance Chp. 19-84 Art. III)
- Motorized vehicles on park grounds. (City Ordinance Chp. 19 Art. III)
- Skates, bicycles or skateboards on sidewalk or court areas. (City Ordinance Chp. 29-11, except where otherwise noted.)
- Littering. (City Ordinance Chp. 17-89)
Yield playing areas to all Lee’s Summit Parks and Recreation sanctioned activities.
Please fill out a "Special Event Permit" form by clicking the following links. Please fill out both links attached: Special Event Permit Form Agreement • Special Event Permit Form Application