Longview Community Center Frequently Asked Questions
You have questions. We have answers!
- What are your hours of operation?
- Monday – Friday 5am-10pm
- Saturday 7am-8pm
- Sunday 8am-8pm
- The aquatics area will close 30 minutes prior to facility closing time
- What amenities are included in the membership?
- Access to all 4 LSPR facilities
- Basketball court (available for volleyball, pickleball and badminton)
- 8 lane, 25 yard pool, 2 diving boards
- Walking track (22 laps =1 mile)
- Hammer Strength Circuit weights
- Free Weights
- Synrgy 360 functional fitness
- Cardio equipment including treadmills, ellipticals, recumbent and upright bikes, rowers, nu steps, assault air runners and AMT’s.
- Group exercise classes
- Aqua Fit classes
- Cycle classes
- Additional charges apply for swim lessons, personal training, specialty classes, rentals and childcare. Membership discounts do apply.
- Are there schedules available?
- Schedules are available for the pool, basketball, volleyball, pickleball, and group exercise classes.
- You may pick up schedules at the facility or go online www.longviewcc.net
- Do you have family memberships?
- All of our memberships are individually priced. A family of four would be the individual rate times 4. All four of these memberships can be taken out of the same account and the family would only be charged 1-$25 enrollment fee.
- What are the fees?
- Monthly Flex $17.42/ residents $20.42 / non-residents $25 enrollment fee
- Annual Membership $209/resident $245/ non-resident $0 enrollment fee
- 90 Day Membership $120/resident $144 / non -resident $0 enrollment fee
- What are my membership payment options?
- Monthly Flex memberships will be scheduled for automated draft from a checking account on the 15th of the month. The first months dues and enrollment fee are due at time of purchase and can be made by cash, check or credit card (we do not accept American Express)
- Annual or 90 day membership payments can be made by cash, check or credit card (we do not accept American Express).
- Can I use the facility if I am not a member?
- Yes, Single Visit fees are as follows: $6 / resident $8/ non-resident
- What do I need to bring with me to get a membership?
- For a monthly Flex membership, please bring a voided check and a photo id of the account holder. If your photo ID does not have your current address please bring other proof of residency. Individuals must be at least 18 years old to sign the membership paperwork or have a legal guardian present.
- For annual or 90 day memberships please provide an ID
- For health plan membership, please bring your ID card or number.
- What do I need to provide if I don’t have a voided check?
- If you do not have a voided check your bank will be able to provide you with letter or statement that contains the account holders name, address, routing number and account number.
- Do MCC students and faculty get a free membership?
- MCC athletes and PE Students will receive a free membership for the length of the semester.
- MCC Students and Faculty will receive the resident discount if they do not reside in Lees Summit.
- There are no discounts for MCC retirees.
- How do I cancel my membership?
- Memberships can be canceled at any time online or in person.
- Cancelations cannot be made over the phone
- Cancelations for monthly Flex memberships must be submitted by the first business day of the month.
- Can I bring a guest?
- Yes! Anyone can access our facilities for a single visit fee of $6 for a LS resident and $8 for non-residents. Please have them bring a photo id with them.
- All patrons entering the facility must have a membership or pay a single visit fee. If a patron does not wish to enter the facility, they may sit and wait in the lobby free of charge.
- Do you accept Silversneakers, Silver and Fit, Renew Active or AARP?
- LSPR accepts Silversneakers, Prime, Silver and Fit and Renew Active memberships.
- LSPR does not accept the AARP membership.
- Is childcare included in my membership?
- Childcare services are an additional fee
- Drop in visit rate is $3 per visit
- Punch cards are available for $70 members and $80 non-members
- What are your childcare hours?
- Monday-Friday 8am-12pm 4:40-8:30pm
- Saturday 8am-12pm
- Sunday closed
- What are the age requirements for childcare?
- 6 months old – 9 years old
- What type of activities are available to the kids in childcare?
- Reading nook
- Imagination play (kitchen set, workbench, dolls, cars etc)
- Color sheets
- Movies, TV
- Is there a time limit?
- Each child is limited to a 2-hour stay per visit.
Facility Age Guidelines
- Does my child need a membership?
- Children under the age of 4 years old are free
- At 4 years old the parent has the choice to pay for single visits or purchase a membership
- At what age do you accept kids in the childcare?
- 6 months -9 years old
- At what age can my child access the facility?
- At 10 years of age a child can swim, play basketball, play pickleball, take classes or walk the track alone.
- 12-17 year olds can access the equipment with a fitness orientation
- 16 year olds can access the spa and the free weights
Group Exercise Classes
- Do I need a membership to take a group exercise class?
- No, you may purchase a single visit pass.
- Please come 10 minutes prior to class so we may process this transaction.
- Are classes included in my membership?
- Yes! You have access to all land, water and cycle classes.
- You also have access to classes at the other facilities (J. Thomas Lovell Jr. and Gamber Community Centers) as well!
- Specialty classes are also available for additional fees. Member discounts apply.
- Do I have to be a Silversneaker member to take a Silversneaker class?
- Nope! Our classes are open to all members and single visits!
- Can we sign up for group exercise classes over the phone?
- Yes please call us at 816-969-1520
- You may also sign up for classes in person
- We are looking into an online option. Stay Tuned!
- What happens if the class is full?
- If all of the allotted spaces for class are full, your name can still be added to the waitlist.
- If someone cannot make a class and they have signed up, in advance we encourage them to call us and have their name removed.
- The first name on the waitlist will move into their spot.
- If you are still on the waitlist up to 5 minutes prior to class starting, you will be allowed in if the spaces remain open.
- How far in advance can we sign up for group exercise classes?
- 7 days in advance
- For example, if today is Monday, you can sign up for classes Tuesday through the next Monday.
- Can I bring in pool floats?
- Only allow coast guard approved floatation devices are allowed in the pool.
- How big is your pool?
- 8 lanes
- 25 yards by 25 meters
- What temperature do you keep the water in the aquatics area?
- The pool temperature is set at 82 degrees but can fluctuate up to 2 degrees either way.
- The spa temperature is set at 104 degrees
- Can you rent spaces in the facility?
- Pool: Lap lanes and diving well are available to rent
- Half of the gymnasium is available to rent
- The aerobics room and cycle studio are available to rent.
- Lock in and afterhours rentals are available.
- We currently do not offer birthday parties at this location. For party packages call LCC 969-1550 or Summit Waves 969-1545
- Call us at 816.969.1520 for more information or to reserve space
- Can someone show me the equipment?
- Yes, each member can receive a free equipment orientation.
- Please let the welcome center staff know you are interested and they will get you scheduled.
- What is your weather policy?
- The facility, classes and all services will remain open during severe weather (extreme heat, thunderstorm and winter weather advisories).
- If there are any closings, they will be posted on our web page or facebook page.
- In cases of extreme heat, the lobby serves as a cooling center for the community.
- In cases of extreme cold, the lobby serves as a warming center for the community.
- Do you have equipment available?
- Badminton: We have racquets and birdies available to check out
- Pickleball: We have wood paddles and pickleballs available to check out
- Volleyball: Volleyballs are available to check out
- Basketball: We have youth, women’s and men’s size basketballs are available to check out.
- You may also bring in your own equipment. Please make sure it is labeled.
- Do you offer a towel service?
- Towels are not available. Please bring a towel with you.
- Swimsuit and body dryers are available in the locker rooms.
- Do you rent lockers?
- Lockers are available each day, but items cannot be kept in locker overnight.
- You may bring your own lock or purchase one from the Welcome desk.
- We do not rent the lockers but we can rent you a lock for $1.
Longview Community Center Facility Rules and Etiquette
General Facility Guidelines
- Demonstrate respect for yourself, other patrons, staff, and property while enjoying the facility.
- No abusive or profane language.
- No rough-housing or horseplay.
- The use of all tobacco products is prohibited in parks and facilities maintained, owned, and/or operated by the Lee's Summit Parks and Recreation Department (E cigarettes are not allowed in any LSPR facility).
- Attire should be community center appropriate.
- Children under the age of 10 must be accompanied by an adult age 16 or older at all times.
- Food and drinks are allowed in the vending area only. Water with a lid is allowed in other areas.
- LSPR is committed to the health, safety and welfare of each of its members and staff and will not tolerate unreasonable, threatening, obscene, harassing, indecent or illegal behavior.
- No weapons of any kind are allowed within the facility.
- LSPR has the right to terminate membership of any member engaging in unacceptable behavior.
- Children under the age of 10 must be accompanied by an adult (over the age of 16) at all times. Children are restricted to the court area of their supervisor.
- One goal will be available for open shooting.
- All other goals must be used for game play and will remain at regular height.
- No Full Court games are allowed.
- If patrons are waiting all games are limited to 10 minutes. Winning team can stay for 2 consecutive games.
- Please ask staff for assistance with goal height, volleyball, badminton and pickleball.
- Patrons who violate regulations will be asked to leave.
General Pool Rules
- Children under the age 10 shall be accompanied by a person 16 years or older wearing a swimsuit in the Aquatic Area. Children 10 or older may use Aquatic Facility without adult accompaniment.
- No person with open cuts, sores, lesions, infections, obvious communicable diseases, or diarrhea shall use the swimming pool or spa.
- Persons with infectious conditions or contagious diseases such as colds, open sores, influenza, eye infections, or rash will not be permitted in pool or spa.
- Swim diapers are required for non-toilet trained guests.
- Proper swim attire is required. Cut-offs, thong swimsuits, leotards, biking tights, etc. are not permitted.
- Running and horseplay are not permitted in or around the pool area.
- Only US Coast Guard approved personal flotation devices are allowed.
- The pool may close early due to severe weather conditions or for special aquatic events.
- No food or drink except for water allowed in aquatic area.
- Street shoes are not permitted on the pool deck.
- Animals are not allowed in or around the swimming pool. Service animals, as defined by the ADA, are allowed on the pool deck. However, they are not permitted in the pool or spa, on the diving board, or on any kind of flotation raft.
Diving Board Rules
- One person allowed on boards at a time
- Persons in line must wait until the previous diver has safely reached the pool ladder before climbing the diving board ladder.
- Divers should exit the diving well at the nearest ladder and should not swim under the div
- Safe diving must be practiced
- No running, cartwheels or handstands on the board.
- Inward dives and multiple bounces are prohibited.
- Divers must dive straight out from the board.
- Diving board fulcrums are NOT to be moved.
- Patrons shall be 16 years or older to use the spa.
- No more than 8 patrons are allowed in or around the spa area.
- Due to the high temperature and humidity, the spa can be dangerous to your health. Consult your physician before use.
- Persons who are elderly, pregnant, have high blood pressure or on medications should consult their physician prior to using the spa.
- A 15 minute time limit is recommended.
- The water temperature is 104 degrees and prolonged exposure may cause nausea, dizziness or fainting.
- No oils, shampoos, soaps, etc. are allowed in the spa.
- Due to high amounts of chlorine used to sanitize the spa, prolonged use may cause suit to fade. LSPR is not responsible for damage to swim suits.
Lap Lane Etiquette
- Be courteous of other swimmers.
- A circle pattern will be used for lap swimming. Always stay on the right side of the lane, swimming in a counter clockwise direction.
- Maintain a reasonable distance between swimmers.
- When passing, notify the swimmer in front of you with a tap on the foot and pass in the middle lane. Watch for oncoming swimmers.
- To notify your arrival to a swimmer, sit on the edge of the pool with a foot in the water in the lane you wish to enter. Wait until your presence is known before entering.
- Children under the age of 10 will not be permitted in the fitness center.
- Children ages 10 & 11 may only use cardiovascular equipment while directly supervised by an adult 16 years of age or older.
- Children ages 12 to 17 may use cardiovascular & free weight equipment after passing the fitness center orientation.
- Attire: Closed-toe shoes and a shirt must be worn at all times.
- Clothing with metal-rivets are not permitted.
- Return weights to proper location on rack.
- Spotters are required at all times.
- Collars on barbells are required at all times.
- Thirty minute time limit on all cardiovascular equipment during peak hours.
- Please be courteous to other users and clean your mat and equipment after use, disinfectant and towels are available at designated areas.
- Children under the age of ten must be directly accompanied by an adult.
- Follow the track direction sign designated for the day.
- The two inside lanes are designated for walkers. The outside lane is designated for jogging.Middle lane for use of weights.
- Strollers are prohibited on the track.
Key Fobs -For your convenience!
The Key FOB allows LSPR to better track attendance, to know who is using the facilities and saves time when registering for programs, paying for a single visit or swiping in at facilities. The Key FOB is easy to carry with you as it slides onto your key ring. You can also take a picture of it and store it in your phone! Stop by anytime to pick up for free key fob at any of our facilities so you can start carrying your key to fun! Key FOBs are required so please remember it with you replacement FOBS are $1.
ONE Membership, FOUR Facilities
Longview Community Center (3801 SW Longview Road)
J. Thomas Lovell Jr. Community Center at Legacy Park (901 NE Bluestem Drive)
Gamber Community Center (4 SE Independence Ave)
Harris Park Community Center (110 SW Blue Parkway)
Membership Fees and Single Visit Rates
||Monthly Flex Rate
||$20.42 / Month
|Resident Discount Rates
||$17.42 / Month
||$25 / 1x fee
- A photo ID is required for proof of residency.
- Monthly memberships are withdrawn from checking accounts on the 15th of each month.
- An enrollment fee and a voided check (no starter checks) are required at the time of registration, as well as the first months dues.
- Monthly membership fees are not prorated and are priced for the month you join.
- All fees are priced for individuals ages 4 and over. Children 3 and under are free.
- All changes to monthly membership drafts need to be completed by the 1st business day of the month and a $5 fee will be charged for changes.
- Please call in advance for more information regarding our memberships options 816-969-1520.
Key Fobs -For your convenience!
The Key FOB allows LSPR to better track attendance, to know who is using the facilities and saves time when registering for programs, paying for a single visit or swiping in at facilities. The Key FOB is easy to carry with you as it slides onto your key ring. You can also take a picture of it and store it in your phone! Stop by anytime to pick up for free key fob at any of our facilities so you can start carrying your key to fun! Key FOBs are required so please remember to bring it with you, replacement FOBS are $1.
- Aquatics Area: Indoor aquatics area with an 8-lap lane, 25 meter pool, diving well and a spa.
- Gymnasium: Full size gymnasium. Equipment available for basketball, volleyball, badminton, and pickleball. Equipment available for check out.
- Walking Track: Three lane track on the main wellness floor 22 laps = 1 mile.
- Aerobics and Cycle Room: Over 40 classes per week. Independent cycle room.
- Cardiovascular/Strength Training: Treadmills, ellipticals, upright bikes, recumbent bikes and stair-steppers. Belt-driven machine equipment and free weights.
Longview Community Center Schedules
REGULAR OPERATING HOURS
- Monday-Friday: 5am-10pm*
- Saturday: 7am-8pm*
- Sunday: 8am-8pm*
- *Aquatics closes half hour before the facility.
CHILDCARE HOURS (AGES 6MO-9YR)
- Monday-Saturday: 8am-12pm
- Monday-Thursday: 4:30pm-8:30pm
- Sunday: 4:15-7:15pm (*NOTE: Sunday childcare hours will be discontinued at LVCC at the end of October 2019).)
GROUP FITNESS SCHEDULE
- Childcare Available. No advance reservation required!
- We recommend signing up for classes to ensure your spot.
- Class rosters are available 7 days in advance.
- Members may call 969-1520 or sign up in person.
- Sign in sheets are located at the welcome desk.
- Please ask a service representative if you need assistance.
- The aquatics area closes half an hour before the facility closes.
- The spa will be closed for cleaning Sundays at 6:30pm.
- The lap lanes will close 5 minutes prior to Aqua Fit classes.
- Sunday 8am-12pm (3 goals)
- Monday - Friday 5am-8am (6 goals)
- Saturday 7am-8am (6 goals)
- Afternoon / Evenings:
- Sundays 12pm-8pm (6 goals)
- Mondays 12pm-5pm (6 goals) 5pm-8pm (3 goals)
- Tuesdays 12pm -6pm (6 goals)
- Wednesdays 12pm-10pm (6 goals)
- Thursdays 12pm- 4:30pm (6 goals) 4:30pm-8pm (3 goals)
- Fridays 12pm-10pm (6 goals)
- Saturdays 12pm-8pm (6 goals)
- Balls are available upon request
- No full court play is available
- Gym Rentals are available 8pm-10pm M-F only or 12-8pm Sat/Sun
- Join us Thursday Nights 4:30 pm-8:00 pm for open play *
- MCC Volleyball team will have the large gym daily from 2pm-4:30pm (seasonal)
- Mornings: Monday - Friday 8am-12pm
- Evenings: Mondays 5pm-8pm (3 nets) and Tuesdays 6pm-10pm (6 nets)
- Weekends: Saturdays and Sundays 8am-12pm (3 nets)
- Paddles and balls are available upon request.
- LSPR Pickleball Schedule
Longview Community Center is here for you & your body!
Meet The Trainers
Click here for a list of our current LSPR Trainers!
Personal Training Rates
||Individual Non Member
||Couple's Non Member
* Includes a full fitness assessment.
How to Get Started...
Enrollment Form: Outlines basic information and guidelines.
Medical Release: All clients must complete a participation activity readiness questionnaire (PAR Q). If so indicates, a physician’s medical release may be required for clients whose health may be in question.
Fitness Questionnaire: This form will help your personal trainer create a comprehensive program and plan based on your health and fitness history.
After these items are complete and payment has been made, a trainer will contact you within 48 hours to set up your first session, unless the PAR Q indicates the need for physician’s medical release.
LVCC 24 Hour Cancellation Policy. A 24 hour notice of cancellation or change in your personal training appointment is required at the LVCC. If an appointment is cancelled or changed within less than 24 hours of the scheduled appointment, a refund will NOT be processed. In the event of a cancellation by the trainer prior to the 24 hour notice, the appointment may be rescheduled or refunded. In the event of a cancellation by the trainer less than 24 hours of the scheduled appointment, you may reschedule your appointment and will receive an additional 15 minutes of service at no charge.
Five or fewer sessions must be used within a 60-day period. Clients purchasing a 10 session package must complete the sessions within a 90-day period.
A 6-week all inclusive wellness program with the accountability you need to reach your weight loss goals, make incredible changes, and have a healthy lifestyle!
RevUP is now available for just $99, and you still receive all this...
- 6 week membership to all LSPR indoor community centers.
- Pre/post comprehensive assessments
- Weekly small group personal training programs
- Nutrition classes based on Healthy Eating Every Day content
- Coach Calls Wellness challenges
For more information on RevUP click here
Our next six week session of RevUP starts October 28, 2019.
Outside Personal Training
Personal training at the Longview Community Center (LVCC) may be provided only by those individuals who are specifically employed by Lee's Summit Parks & Recreation (LSPR) for that purpose. Anyone who is not a LSPR staff personal trainer and is observed or suspected of conducting outside personal training may be approached and questioned regarding their activities. Any of the following or related behaviors may attract such questioning:
- Assisting a participant with technique, or any specific instruction, but not exercising with that individual during all portions of the workout.
- Writing and/or designing a fitness or workout program for a participant.
- Explaining and providing exercise directions to a participant or group of participants.
- Directing exercise order or duration for a participant.
- Meeting with the same participant on a frequent basis or multiple participants on the same day.
- Getting and returning weights for a participant.
- Directing a participant around the room and telling them what to exercise next.
- Receiving payment from another individual for an exercise session.
If a LSPR staff member concludes that this policy has been violated, both the trainer and patron may be asked to leave the facility.
LSPR cannot adequately control and has no responsibility for the quality of personal training from individuals that are not employed by the LSPR. These individuals may not have adequate academic background, national certifications, or training, ability, or experience to properly train clients. The use of the Longview Community Center for outside personal training also is in direct competition with the personal training service that LSPR offers.
Repeat violations of this policy may result in suspension or permanent loss of LVCC privileges and other LSPR facilities.
For more information, contact Recreation Supervisor Lisa Chism, firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information please call 816.969.1520!
Now Scheduling for Massages! Chair massage and table massage available at Longview by appointment. Call to confirm availability: 969-1520.
LSPR Massage Menu
Pricing shown is regular rate / member rate
To relax with a head to toe massage that soothes both the mind and the body, try the Swedish massage. This classic massage uses long strokes to reduce tension, soothe sore muscles and improve circulation.
30 minutes - $45 / $32
60 minutes - $75 / $60
90 minutes - $110 / $84
The childbearing year brings on a variety of physical discomforts! A perinatal massage can ease backaches, edema (swelling of hands & feet) sciatica, high blood pressure, and fatigue. Massage during pregnancy/postpartum may also feature increased oxytocin production, fewer complications, enhanced immunological function, and help you appreciate your changing body. A health care provider’s release must be obtained before the appointment.
60 minutes - $75 / $60
Deep Tissue Massage
If you have knots/tension you’d like worked out, choose Deep tissue--an intensive and invigorating massage focusing on the deeper layers of tissue and muscle. Great for focused treatment to your troublesome areas.
30 minutes - $45 / $32
60 minutes - $75 / $60
90 minutes - $110 / $84
Athletes, weightlifters, and other gym-goers can go for a Sports massage. Come in before, in-between or after workouts. This can help increase blood flow to prepare, reduce likelihood of injury and/or push toxins that have accumulated in the muscles to in recovery.
30 minutes - $45 / $32
60 minutes - $75 / $60
90 minutes - $110 / $84
Without shedding your clothes, receive an effective massage to your back, shoulders, scalp, neck, arms and/or hands in our special massage chair.
Available in 10, 15 and 20 minute sessions/$1 per minute
Hot Stone Massage
Experience the penetrating warmth and earthly energetic effects of warm smooth stones that are heated in water and used along with the hands. Stones may be used before, during or after massage. Add $12 to Swedish, Deep tissue or Sports.
Engage your sense of smell with aromatherapy to enhance your massage experience. Using all-natural essential oils will relieve stress by deepening relaxation or can be energizing. Available with any massage for $5.
Purchase any 4 massages and get a 10% discount when you buy them together. Schedule them all right away, or save some for a rainy day, as long as they are used within 12 months of purchase.
Early Bird Extension
Get a massage, then book your next session that same day and receive 15 complimentary minutes to be used next time.
To schedule your appointment, call 816-969-1520 or visit the Longview Community Center’s welcome desk. Payment is due at time of booking.
LSPR 24 Hour Cancellation Policy
A 24 hour notice of cancellation or change in your massage therapy appointment is required. If an appointment is cancelled or changed within less than 24 hours of the scheduled appointment, a refund will NOT be processed. In the event of a cancellation by the therapist prior to the 24 hour notice, the appointment may be rescheduled or refunded. In the event of a cancellation by the therapist less than 24 hours of the scheduled appointment, you may reschedule your appointment and will receive an additional 15 minutes of service at no charge.
Lee's Summit Parks and Recreation reserves the right to adjust pricing at anytime without notice. In addition, items on the Massage Menu may vary or be unavailable at certain times.
Longview Community Center Rental Rates
Per Hour Fees
Deposit and fees are due at the time of the reservation booking. Deposit fee is refunded according to the condition of the space. Security is required for events with youth ages 14-20 and is charged at $43 per hour. After hour rentals have a 2-hour minimum. Reservations must be booked in person.
||Resident / Member Rate
|Rental Deposit Fees
||$100 / Event
||$100 / Event
||$18 / hour per lane
||$22 / hour per lane
||$27 / hour
||$33 / hour
|Pool (After hours only)
||$238 / hour
||$286 / hour
|Pool (After hours only)
||$345 / hour
||$414 / hour
||$72 / Hour
||$90 / Hour
||$116 / Hour
||$145 / Hour
|Lock-in (After hours only)
||Up to 350
|Lock-in Deposit Fees
||$250 / Event
||$250 / Event
1 For rentals booked after normal operating hours an additional $40 per hour fee will be applied.
The gym can be an intimidating place but it doesn't have to be. If you are a first time gym user please let the Longview Community Center Staff know if you need a tour of the facility, if you have questions about a rule or need an orientation on the equipment.
Below we have provided you a few of the unwritten rules to help improve your visit and your workout. We are here for you, please do not hesitate to ask us for assistance!
PLEASE Be considerate of others
1) Share equipment
2) Be courteous and allow others to work in between sets if needing/wanting the same equipment
3) Help wipe down and adjust/reload or unload weight between sets back to where it was when “working in”
4) Politely inform someone how many sets you have left and that it is okay to “work in” if they begin exercising on a machine while you are resting between sets
5) Refrain from texting, resting or socializing on equipment
6) Refrain from “claiming” a piece of equipment by setting a towel or water bottle next to it.
Winter Gym Etiquette:
Tip #1: Stay Healthy Lee's Summit!
Exercise actually boosts your immune system, so going to the gym is one of the best things you can do to stay well during cold and flu season. But colder weather brings more people inside which means more germs and greater exposure to bugs that cause cold and flu. Use these gym hygiene tips to keep germs at bay and help you stay well throughout the season.
Wash and dry your hands
Wash your hands for 30 seconds with soap. Be sure to clean the front and back of the hands along with your wrists. Leaving your hands wet can make it easier for them to pick up and pass germs. Dry your hands thoroughly after each hand washing. Use hand sanitizer often.
Wipe down equipment
Use the provided spray bottles and disposable towels to disinfect equipment before and after uses. Staff disinfects multiple times throughout the day but cannot get to every machine after every use.
Beware of bacterial hot spots:
• Free weights and gym equipment- wipe down before & after you use them.
• Mats – Wipe down your mat before and after use or you can also bring your own & don't share. Don’t forget to wipe it with anti-bacterial wipes at home & let it air-dry.
• Cardio machines – Be sure to wipe down the buttons and handrails on treadmills, bikes and ellipticals before and after your workout.
• Your gym bag - If it is canvas or cloth wash and dry it once a week, as every time you set it down disease-causing microbes could be latching onto it.
• Your water bottle – Bringing a water bottle is better than using the water fountain but you need to wash it every day in hot water to kill germs which collect at the bottom of it.
• Your hands -Use a clean towel, rather than your hands to wipe your face of sweat. Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth with your hands.
• Restrooms- After washing your hands use a paper towel to turn off the water and opening the door to exit the bathroom.
Don’t work out when you are sick
Get your rest! Only low intensity exercise is recommended with symptoms like sore throat, coughing, runny nose, congested nose. No exercise is recommended when experiencing muscle/joint pain, headache, fever, diarrhea, vomiting.
Tip #2 - Don’t wear your salty shoes in the gym!
1. Salt: In the winter, salt is common practice on roads and sidewalks to keep ice from becoming a problem. That salt accumulates on your shoes and then you bring it into the gym. Salt on gym equipment and floors does not bode well–it can ruin the gym equipment, as well as yours and others’ athletic gear.
2. Water=Slipping: Snow accumulates on your shoes. It may be snow when you walk in, but by the time you hit the gym floor, it’s water and it’s slippery. Not only can water ruin the cardio equipment and other equipment, but it can cause you or others to slip and fall, causing injury.
3. Shoe maintenance:You want to make sure your shoes last a while and wearing them outside in the salt and snow just isn’t good maintenance. Salt, especially, will erode your shoes at a quicker pace.
Membership Cancellation Request Form
Those wishing to cancel their LSPR membership need to do so at a Lee’s Summit Parks and Recreation facility. This online cancellation form is for LSPR members who wish to cancel their membership but are unable to get to a facility.
If you have a monthly flex membership you must cancel by the 1st of the month in order to stop your monthly draft on the 15th. Cancellations made after the 1st of the month will stop your membership at the end of the current month. For example: If you cancel on November 8, the membership will draft on November 15, the membership will remain active til November 30.