Basement Fire Damages Home
June 10, 2019 2030 CDT
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Assistant Chief Jim Eden
Lee’s Summit Fire Department
Basement Fire Damages Lee’s Summit Home
LEE'S SUMMIT, MO— On Monday, June 10, 2019 at 3:53 p.m., the Lee’s Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire in the 800 Block of SE 13 Street. The occupant was awakened by the smoke alarms and found the house filling with smoke. After a brief attempt to fight the fire in the basement the occupant left the house and had a neighbor call 911. There were no other occupants in the house. The neighbor reported smoke coming from the garage.
When the fire department arrived, smoke was visible from the garage a one and a half story, single family residence.
Firefighters quickly knocked down the fire in the basement and made entry for final extinguishment and to complete a search of the house. The fire was reported out at 4:36 p.m.
Fire damage was contained to a basement utility room and a utility chase extending up to the living area above, with varying amounts of smoke damage. The fire originated in the basement utility room and is believed to be electrical in origin.
The occupant of the house was transported by fire department ambulance to an area hospital with non-life threatening injuries.