Fire Spreads to House from Faulty Fireplace
LEE’S SUMMIT, MO— On Thursday, June 25, 2020, at 9:04 p.m., the Lee’s Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire in the 300 Block of SW Seagull Street. The occupants were using the fireplace when the smoke alarms activated and they noticed smoke coming from the wood chimney enclosure around the fireplace flue.
When the fire department arrived, light smoke was visible from the back of the one and a half-story, single-family residence. The occupants were safe outside.
When firefighters entered the house there was a fire in the fireplace and inside the wood enclosure around the fireplace flue. The fire had already spread up the enclosure into the attic. Crews had to open up the walls around the enclosure and a portion of the ceiling to the attic to extinguish the fire. The incident was under control by 9:58 p.m.
Fire damage was contained to the area around the fireplace enclosure and a portion of the attic, with light smoke damage to the remainder of the structure.
The cause of the fire was determined to be a faulty fireplace.