Search Press Releases

Press Release Archive

Press Releases

  |   Views: 541
  |   Categories: Fire Department Press Releases

Closed Door Keeps Basement Bedroom Fire Contained

Closed Door Keeps Basement Bedroom Fire Contained

LEE’S SUMMIT, MO— On Saturday, November 16, 2019, at 11:44 a.m. the Lee’s Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire at 1700 Block of NE Auburn Drive. The occupant of the house smelled smoke and discovered the fire in the basement.

When the fire department arrived, light smoke was visible from a single family residence. The occupants of the house were safe outside.

Firefighters entered the house and quickly extinguished a fire in a basement bedroom. A search of the house confirmed no one was inside and the fire had not spread. The incident was under control by 12:13 p.m.

The fire originated in a basement bedroom. A closed door kept the fire damage contained to the room of origin, although there was still moderate smoke damage to the remainder of the house. There were no working smoke alarms in the home.

The cause of the fire was determined to be a smoldering paper towel that was used to light a candle and improperly discarded into a trash can, igniting the materials in the can.

 

 

Privacy Notice

Pursuant to 45 C.F.R. parts 160 and 164 (the HIPAA privacy rules) the City of Lee's Summit will not provide information that could be used alone or in combination with other information to identify an individual who is the subject of health information created or maintained by the City.  All requests by the media for information regarding the provision of medical services to an individual must be directed to the City of Lee's Summit Privacy Official, for determination of whether it can be released.  The Privacy Official can be contacted in writing at 207 SE Douglas Street, Lee’s Summit, Missouri 64063, or by telephone at (816) 969-1300.  Information that contains protected health information is protected from disclosure by law and may be closed by the City in accordance with RSMo § 610.021(14).

 

 

 

Print

Theme picker

Latest Press Releases

Lee’s Summit Fire Department to Hold Recruitment Open House
Lee’s Summit Fire Department to Hold Recruitment Open House

Lee’s Summit Fire Department to Hold Recruitment Open House

The Lee’s Summit Fire Department is holding a Recruitment Open House for qualified candidates interested in a career as a firefighter/paramedic. The open house is scheduled for Feb. 15, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Fire Headquarters, 207 SE Douglas St. During the event, personnel will be on hand to provide insight into the position, culture and benefits. Attendees will have an opportunity to tour the fire station and fill out applications on site.   Among...
Business Destroyed by Fire
Business Destroyed by Fire

Business Destroyed by Fire

LEE’S SUMMIT, MO— On Sunday, February 09, 2020 at 2:25 a.m. the Lee’s Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire at 611 SW 3rd Street. A police officer in the area discovered the fire in the building occupied by Shining Light Music. When the fire department arrived, the two-story building was well involved in fire. Due to the amount of involvement and partial collapse of the structure, crews attacked the fire from a defensive...
Lee’s Summit Encourages the Community to Spread Kindness
Lee’s Summit Encourages the Community to Spread Kindness

Lee’s Summit Encourages the Community to Spread Kindness

The City of Lee’s Summit’s Human Relations Commission is encouraging community members to perform random and purposeful acts of kindness during a weeklong campaign known as “Take Time to Be Kind.” The campaign runs Feb. 10 through Feb. 16. These small gestures – such as telling someone how much they mean to you or performing chores around the house – are easy ways to spread kindness and make a positive change in the community....
Electrical Failure Sparks Crawl Space Fire

Electrical Failure Sparks Crawl Space Fire

  LEE’S SUMMIT, MO— On Friday, January 17, 2020, at 4:09 a.m. , the Lee’s Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire in the 400 Block of SW Mission Road. The caller reported the house was filling with smoke and the smoke alarms were sounding. The source of the smoke was unknown. When the fire department arrived, nothing was visible from the one-story, single family residence. Firefighters entered the smoke filled house...
Lee's Summit Fire Department Pumper Rolls Onto Its Side On Icy Street
Lee's Summit Fire Department Pumper Rolls Onto Its Side On Icy Street

Lee's Summit Fire Department Pumper Rolls Onto Its Side On Icy Street

On Friday, January 17 at approximately 5:10 a.m., Pumper 5 was traveling southbound on SW Ward Road near SW Stuart Road, when it encountered icy road conditions and rolled onto its side. There were no injuries to the crew and no other vehicles involved. There is significant damage to the vehicle. Pumper 5 was returning to Station 5 on M-150 Highway after providing coverage at another station that was out fighting a structure fire. The Lee’s Summit...
1345Last