Closed Door Keeps Basement Bedroom Fire Contained
LEE’S SUMMIT, MO— On Saturday, November 16, 2019, at 11:44 a.m. the Lee’s Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire at 1700 Block of NE Auburn Drive. The occupant of the house smelled smoke and discovered the fire in the basement.
When the fire department arrived, light smoke was visible from a single family residence. The occupants of the house were safe outside.
Firefighters entered the house and quickly extinguished a fire in a basement bedroom. A search of the house confirmed no one was inside and the fire had not spread. The incident was under control by 12:13 p.m.
The fire originated in a basement bedroom. A closed door kept the fire damage contained to the room of origin, although there was still moderate smoke damage to the remainder of the house. There were no working smoke alarms in the home.
The cause of the fire was determined to be a smoldering paper towel that was used to light a candle and improperly discarded into a trash can, igniting the materials in the can.
Pursuant to 45 C.F.R. parts 160 and 164 (the HIPAA privacy rules) the City of Lee's Summit will not provide information that could be used alone or in combination with other information to identify an individual who is the subject of health information created or maintained by the City. All requests by the media for information regarding the provision of medical services to an individual must be directed to the City of Lee's Summit Privacy Official, for determination of whether it can be released. The Privacy Official can be contacted in writing at 207 SE Douglas Street, Lee’s Summit, Missouri 64063, or by telephone at (816) 969-1300. Information that contains protected health information is protected from disclosure by law and may be closed by the City in accordance with RSMo § 610.021(14).