The Lee’s Summit Arts Council was established in 2002 to serve as the local arts agency for the Lee's Summit community. The council's goal is to strengthen Lee’s Summit’s cultural vibrancy by ensuring the arts and creative industries have a voice in making the community a great place to live, work and play.
Twelve voting members comprise the Arts Council, plus a liaison from the City Council, who is appointed annually by the mayor pro tempore. Members are appointed by the mayor, with confirmation by the City Council, for three-year terms.
The Lee's Summit Arts Council meets on the fourth Monday of each month unless otherwise noted. Meetings are open to the public. Agendas are posted a minimum of 24 hours in advance and along with previous meetings minutes.
- Act as a clearinghouse for information on opportunities for the arts existing in the community.
- Establish goals for increasing focus on exposure to the arts (education, programs, festivals, etc.).
- Organize and coordinate with agencies, or independently, for arts programming.
- Coordinate efforts between agencies and educate the public regarding community arts opportunities.
- Advocate and Engage – Invite citizens and visitors to participate in activities that build an affinity for the arts. Demonstrate the positive impact arts and culture have in strengthening the quality of life in Lee's Summit.
- Cultivate and Grow – Assist local arts organizations, artists and creative entrepreneurs in fulfilling their missions through annual grant opportunities as well as providing promotional and capacity building support.
- Connect the Community – Bring together citizens, organizations, businesses and the City to solve problems in creative ways.
Programs and Events
Established by Resolution 01-23 and Ordinance 5619