Neighborhood Water Main Replacement Project
The Water Utilities Department is replacing six miles of water main throughout the City in areas most prone to breaks. These areas scattered across the City currently experience the most breaks, interruptions in service and unscheduled maintenance due to the old pipes.
The $3.6 million Neighborhood Water Main Replacement project will replace 33,065 feet with new PVC piping that has a life expectancy of more than 75 years.
The replacement will be more cost-effective to residents, customers and the city by fixing the mains before the problems occur. If water crews wait for breaks to happen, residents may experience unplanned loss of water services.
During this project temporary water services will be provided and residents can expect the same level of service as always. Work will be coordinated with emergency services personnel to ensure hydrant and street access is available at all times.
Most of the work will use a method called “pipe bursting,” in which digging will only occur at connection points in order to minimize impact to residents. The old pipes will be broken up and the new PVC pipe will be pulled through the old cast iron pipe.
Lamke Trenching and Excavating of St. Charles, Mo., has been contracted by the City for this project.
Construction is planned along the following streets:
- Lighthouse Point, Reefpoint Lane, Normandy Drive, Royale Court, Camelot Drive, Cole Younger Drive from Raintree Drive to Leeward Drive, Cole Younger Court, Lafayette Place, Averio Lane and Green Teal Street. Installation COMPLETE. Minor restoration work remains.
- Bayview Drive. Installation nearly COMPLETE. Restoration IN PROGRESS.
- Walnut Street, Highland Drive, Madison Street, Mission Court, Mission Place and Holloway Lane north of Persels Road. Installation COMPLETE. Minor restoration work remains.
- Independence Avenue between Swann Road and Third Street. Installation COMPLETE. Restoration IN PROGRESS.
- Donovan between Frances Road and O'Brien Road. IN PROGRESS.
- Cambridge Drive between Mulberry Street and Independence Avenue, Cedar Street between Mulberry Street and Independence Avenue and Chestnut Court. Planned to begin in April 2013.
- Sixth Street between Merritt Street and Mill Street. Planned to begin in April/May 2013.
- Seventh Street between Lea Drive and Mill Street. Work includes water main replacement within Summit Oak Apartments located east of Mill Street. Planned to begin in April/May 2013.
- Elwood Drive and Lorman Drive north of Graff Way. Planned to begin in May 2013.
- Lakeview Boulevard and Madison Street between Third Street and Fourth Street. Planned to begin in June 2013.
- Third Street between Green Street and Independence Avenue. Planned to begin in July 2013.
Restoration activities will begin in each area after the area is complete and within the specified time periods. After sod is placed the contractor is responsible for watering the sod for the first fifteen days. Depending on the time of year, seed may be placed temporarily until the weather is conducive for sod to be installed.
More information on the project:
- June 20, 2012 Letter to residents
- July 30, 2012 Letter to residents on Walnut, Highland, Madison, Mission and Holloway north of Persels
- September 6, 2012 Letter to residents in Raintree on reconstruction efforts
- September 14, 2012 Letter to residents and property owners on Independence from Swann to Third Street
- November 7, 2012 Letter sent to residents and property owners on Walnut, Highland, Madison, Mission and Holloway, north of Persels
- November 27, 2012 Letter sent to residents and property owners on Independence from Swann to Third Street regarding restoration efforts
- Map of the Bayview project area
Map of All Project Areas