Home button
Site map button
Email button
FAQ button
Font Size
Small font
Medium font
Large font
816 969-1300
Police Tabs
HighlightsContact UsConnect With Us...

Request a Tour!

The Fire Department welcomes you!  Receive a Fire Station tour, Fire truck visit or on-site training.  Find out more...

Space Heater Ignites Car in the Garage

LEE'S SUMMIT, MO— On Thursday, December 29, 2016, at 12:15 p.m., the Lee’s Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire at 2741 SW Regal Drive. The occupant of the house reported a fire in the garage.

 

When the fire department arrived, light smoke was visible from the garage of a two-story, single family residence. Everyone in the house was safe outside. The homeowner was attempting to extinguish the fire with a garden hose.

 

Firefighters extinguished a fire involving one of two vehicles parked inside the garage. Crews checked the rest the house to make sure the fire had not spread from the garage to the living area and confirm everyone was out. The fire was under control by 12:33 p.m.

 

The majority of damage was contained to the garage. One car sustained significant fire damage to front of the vehicle. The other vehicle and garage sustained heavy heat and smoke damage. The remainder of the house had minor smoke damage and was able to be reoccupied. 

 

The cause of the fire is believed to be a space heater placed too close to the car.

 

###