Home button
Site map button
Assessibility logo
Email button
FAQ button
Font Size
Small font
Medium font
Large font
816 969-1200
Temp Traffic Control

Temporary Traffic Control Permit


What is Temporary Traffic Control?

A Temporary Traffic Control means the temporary management of motorized and non-motorized trafffic through the use of official traffic control devices, including but not limited to signs, markings, fence, barricades, lights, delineators, and channelizers, as necessary when the construction, repair, removal, excavation, work, event, or other activity, whether within or adjacent to the public Right-of-Way, impacts normal traffic conditions.


What is a Temporary Traffic Control Permit and when you should obtain one?

A Temporary Traffic Control Permit must be obtained from the City of Lee's Summit Public Works Department any time the authorized Right-of-Way user acts in a manner that narrows, closes, or otherwise impacts the normal flow of vehicular traffic or pedestrian traffic on any public street or sidewalk.  This permit will consist of Permit Application Conditions, Permit Holder Requirements and other relevant information.  Requests for a permit should be made at least 48 hours prior to work or 10 business days prior to work that requires a detour.


Activity where a Temporary Traffic Control Permit is not required:

  • Private property and Private Streets.  Street within a development project that have not been accepted by the City are considered private property.
  • State (MoDOT) Right-of-Way.  Applicable traffic control permits required by the state should be obtained from MoDOT.
  • Conditions where parking is allowed (e.g. most residential streets) and the activity would not obstruct the normal flow of traffic (e.g. road closure).  Parking restrictions are listed in the Code of Ordinances, Chapter 29, especially Appendix B.


Ordinance - Chapter 26, Article III of the Code of Ordinances


Referenced Standards and Specifications:

Temporary traffic control shall be in accordance with the City of Lee's Summit Standard Details (Temporary Traffic Control Details) and Standard Specifications (Section 3000), in the Design and Construction Manual.


How do I obtain a Temporary Traffic Control Permit?

A permit may be obtained in the following ways:

  • Permit Application:  Applications may be obtained at the Public Works Office (220 SE Green Street, City Hall) or downloaded.
  • Via walk-in:  A registered Right-of-Way user may submit application to the Public Works Right-of-Way Section at the Public Works Office:  220 SE Green Street, City Hall.
  • Via fax machine:  A registered Right-of-Way user may submit application via the fax machine to the Public Works Right-of-Way Section at (816) 969-1809.  Approved permits (example) can be issued via fax machine to the applicant.

Questions about this procedure may be directed via email or by phone at (816) 969-1800.