The Lee's Summit Police Department is following an emerging home burglary trend in which criminals target homes for break-in on Friday and Saturday evenings before midnight. The following commonalities have been seen in recent cases:
• Back door pried open by someone who (according to evidence left behind) is not very skilled at using pry tools
• Pillow case taken from master bedroom
• Jewelry boxes gone through or taken altogether
• Laptop computers and/or flat screen televisions taken
All of these burglaries appear to be occurring prior to midnight, and most of them before 11:00pm. We believe these criminals may be using the cover of darkness to sneak into backyards and commit their crimes. With that being said, the police department is focusing extra patrol efforts during the hours of darkness, especially between 9:00pm and 11:00pm. Burglaries have occurred in all areas of the City, and are not specifically linked to one neighborhood.
Please help prevent a criminal from targeting your home:
• Leave on all exterior lights after dark (especially rear door and backyard lights) and encourage your neighbors to do the same
• Use dusk to dawn lights instead of motion sensor lights
• Close your blinds after dark so criminals can’t see inside your home
• If your yard is fenced, keep your gates closed
• Keep an eye out for neighbors…if you see their gate open when it’s usually closed, call 911
• If you see anyone you don’t know in your backyard, or your neighbor’s backyard, call 911
Remember, if you ever have any doubt as to whether or not a certain situation qualifies as “suspicious,” err on the side of caution and call 911.
If you have questions, or if you would like to schedule a free home security survey, please contact Community Interaction Officer Beth Glover by calling her at 816-969-1708 or emailing her at firstname.lastname@example.org.