Citizens Leadership Academy
LS360⁰ Strategic Plan - Citizen's Leadership Academy Brochure | Citizen's Leadership Academy Application
Applications are now being accepted through December 14, 2016.
In an effort to promote understanding of local government and to foster future community leaders, the City of Lee’s Summit created a Citizens Leadership Academy for residents of Lee’s Summit as part of a community goal developed through the City’s LS360 Strategic Plan.
The Citizens Leadership Academy is open to Lee’s Summit residents who want to gain better insight into the operations of City government and to prepare for greater involvement in the community’s leadership. The Citizens Academy is meant to complement leadership training programs and academies already offered in the community, such as Leadership Lee’s Summit, a program of the Lee’s Summit Chamber of Commerce; the Citizens Police Academy presented by the Lee’s Summit Police Department; and Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) and Fire Ops 101 presented by the Lee’s Summit Fire Department.
- The Citizens Academy is held once a year and consists of seven sessions, beginning in January.
- Sessions are held twice a month on Saturdays at various City facilities for four hours each session.
- Participants will learn about various aspects of local government including the structure of government, finances, Public Works Operations, Planning and Development, and Economic Development. In-class exercises will allow participants to practice what they learn.
- On a parallel track, participants will also learn about community building, conflict and collaboration, leadership styles, and ethics. These lessons serve as the basis for developing civic leadership skills.
- You must be a resident or business owner of Lee’s Summit to be eligible for this free program.
Fill out an application now Citizen's Leadership Academy Application