The following questions will be presented to Lee’s Summit voters on April 4, 2017.
These proposed amendments to the Lee’s Summit City Charter are recommendations from the 2016 Charter Review Commission. A copy of the proposed Charter is available in the office of the City Clerk, 220 SE Green Street, or online at cityofls.net | Elections.
The following questions will be placed before the voters in the following order:
Question No. 1
Shall the preamble of the City Charter for the City of Lee’s Summit, Missouri, be amended to read as follows:
“We, the People of Lee’s Summit, Missouri, in order to secure the benefits and advantages of constitutional home rule under the Missouri Constitution do affirm our commitment to self-governance and aspire to create an economically vital community committed to equal opportunity, citizen participation, diversity and to promote a high quality of life where families and businesses thrive and hereby establish this Charter for the better government of our city.”
Question No. 2
Shall the Charter of the City of Lee’s Summit, Article III., City Council., be amended in various sections to:
- clarify the term “qualified voter,”
- to require that a member of the City Council remain a qualified voter of his or her district during his or her term of office,
- to provide that the Mayor of the City shall appoint the Mayor Pro Tempore instead of the City Council,
- prohibit a Councilmember from holding any other elected public office or incompatible public office,
- clarify the qualifications for appointment to the City Council in the event of a vacancy,
- require seven days to lapse between introduction and final passage of any ordinance,
- require copies of proposed ordinances to be made available in the City Clerk’s office and the City website,
- clarify the procedure for approval of an emergency ordinance and limiting the use of the emergency ordinance procedure to certain types of ordinances?
Question No. 3
Shall the Charter of the City of Lee’s Summit be amended to include a new Section 3.15., Charter Violation and Ethics Code., requiring the adoption of an ethics code by the City Council, and allowing sanctions to be imposed upon a City Councilmember only upon a 2/3rds vote of the entire Council including the Mayor?
Question No. 4
Shall the Charter of the City of Lee’s Summit, Article IV., Mayor., be amended in multiple sections to:
- require the Mayor to vote on all ordinances,
- remove the Mayor’s power to veto ordinances and resolutions,
- set a time when the Mayor shall appoint members to certain boards and commissions,
- prohibit the Mayor from holding any other elected public office or incompatible public office,
- provide for discipline by the City Council in the event he or she is found to have violated certain provisions of the Charter; and,
to further amend Article III., City Council., Sections 3.4 and 3.13 to remove references to veto and Mayoral tie-breaking to be consistent with Article IV., Mayor?
Question No. 5
Shall the Charter of the City of Lee’s Summit, Section 6.2., Personnel System., be amended to require all appointments and promotions of City Employees and Officers be made solely on the basis of merit and further clarifying that any personnel code shall authorize the City Manager to promulgate certain personnel rules?
Question No. 6
Shall the Charter of the City of Lee’s Summit, Section 7.3., Court Administration., be amended to enact a new provision requiring the Court Administrator to discharge his or her duties under the direction and control of the City Manager, and remove a provision that authorizes the Municipal Judges to suspend, remove and evaluate the performance of the Court Administrator?
Question No. 7
Shall the Charter of the City of Lee’s Summit, Section 9.3., Determination of Election Results., be amended to require canvassing of election returns at the next regularly scheduled meeting of the City Council following receipt of the certification of election returns?
Question No. 8
Shall the Charter of the City of Lee’s Summit, Article X., Initiative, Referendum and Recall., be amended in multiple sections to
- clarify the initiative, referendum and recall processes and specifically the authority of voters to adopt or reject a proposed ordinance through an initiative procedure,
- clarify the authority of voters to adopt or reject certain ordinances approved by the City Council through the referendum process,
- provide additional operational guidance for a petitioners committee, specify the content of a petition, specify the qualifications to be a petition circulator, provide certain time limits, and specify when the City Council must act following receipt and certification of a sufficient petition?
Question No. 9
Shall the Charter of the City of Lee’s Summit, Article XI., Financial Procedures., be amended in multiple sections to
- require that the budget of the City provide a complete financial plan for all City funds and activities and
- to allow that the City may utilize newspapers of general circulation in the City or other means provided by law to provide certain public notices related to the budget and summary of receipts and expenditures?
Question No. 10
Shall the Charter of the City of Lee’s Summit, Article XII., Franchises., be amended in multiple sections to allow for use of the right-of-way consistent with applicable state and federal law?
Question No. 11
Shall the Charter of the City of Lee’s Summit, Section 14.7, Charter Amendment., be amended to clarify when an election related to charter amendments proposed by the City Council, Charter Review Commission, or a citizen petition be submitted to the voters?
Question No. 12
Shall the Charter of the City of Lee’s Summit be amended by deleting Articles XV., Transitional Provisions., XVI., Schedule., and XVII., Transitional Provisions for Charter Amendments Approved by the Voters on November 6, 2007, in their entirety and by amending Sections 3.2(c), 4.2(b) and 7.2(a) to clarify certain language and to remove references to Article XVI?