City Charter | Records Request | Mayor | City Council | Elections | Revised Council District Map | View City Meetings | Government Access Channel
To serve the City of Lee's Summit, and the community as a whole, in an ethical, professional and responsible manner, as provided in the City Charter, the Code of Ordinances for the City of Lee's Summit and the State Statutes for the State of Missouri.
The City Clerk's office is the custodian of records. The City Clerk and Deputy City Clerk are responsible for the following duties:
- Prepare, update and maintain the Code of Ordinances for the City of Lee's Summit.
- Post notices for open meetings.
- Prepare and update Council meeting agendas and packets.Prepare minutes of Council meetings.
- Prepare, review, coordinate and control ordinances, resolutions and contracts.
- Receive and manage phone calls from those interested Council actions.
- Respond to requests for information, copies and certified copies, either by phone or correspondence and pursuant to requirements of the Missouri Sunshine Law.
- Prepare and maintain cemetery deeds - answer inquiries from public about interments and cemetery deeds.
- Coordinate with Police Department on new, renewed and changes to liquor licenses.
- Election authority for the City and coordinator of elections with Jackson and Cass counties; accepts filings for elected offices; certifies election results; and, administers the oath of office to public officials.
- Per Charter provisions, verifies Initiative, Referendum and Recall petitions and coordinates with Jackson and Cass counties.
- Involved in professional organizations, such as IIMC (International Institute of Municipal Clerks), MoCCFOA (Missouri City Clerks and Finance Officers Association, MoCCFOA Western Division and ARMA (Records Management Association)
- Certifies the validity of City documents for court evidence.
- Updates the City's Records Retention Policy.