The Legislative/Intergovernmental Relations Committee began as the “Ad Hoc Legislative Committee” in the 1990’s to work on developing City positions on state and federal legislative matters affecting municipalities.
- Develop the annual state and federal legislative programs for City Council consideration.
- Host the Annual “Kick-Off” Meeting with state legislators in combination with the school districts and Chamber of Commerce to present the state legislative program.
- Host the Annual State Legislative Dinner.
- Work with city staff to monitor legislation introduced at the state and federal level affecting municipalities and identify issues for the Council to consider taking a position and/or lobbying state or federal legislators.
- Work with political subdividisions in the area on common issues, projects and agreements.
- A quick response team consisting of the Mayor, City Manager, and Chairman of this Committee shall meet and provide a position statement for the Committee during the legislative session in those instances where action on specific legilsation is imminent.
Meetings are held as needed during the legislative process.