City Council Meetings
View City Meetings, Agendas & Meeting Documents
City Council Meeting Structure
The Mayor and City Council wish to ensure that all interested parties are afforded the opportunity to participate in Council meetings. Lee’s Summit City Council Regular Sessions are held the first three Thursdays of each month, beginning at 6:15 p.m., in the City Council Chambers in City Hall, 220 SE Green Street. These meetings are open to the public; all citizens and interested parties are encouraged to attend.
The public is invited to speak during certain portions of the Regular Sessions of the City Council:
“Public Comments” is an agenda item where citizens are provided an opportunity to bring issues and concerns to the attention of the Mayor, City Councilmembers and City Staff.
Public hearings are forums for residents to voice their opinions and are conducted on applications for rezonings; special use permits; preliminary development plans; vacation of rights-of-way; text changes to the UDO; and, other applications requiring public hearings as determined by legal requirements.
As always, please feel free to contact your councilmembers if you have questions or concerns.
If you wish to testify during Public Hearings or Public Comments, please fill out a request form at the meeting.
The City Council allows a total time of 10 minutes for public comments. Those wishing to speak should make themselves known in order to allocate the time.
Information on each item is included in the Council’s packet of information, which is provided prior to each meeting. Minutes from appropriate committees, boards and commissions are also included.
To insure that all parties have the opportunity to participate, Council policy is as follows:
- Applicants are allowed 15 minutes to present their proposal and five minutes for response after public testimony.
- Those testifying in favor of the application will be given a total of 20 minutes. This time will be allotted as follows:
- Each individual may speak for three minutes; and,
- An identified spokesperson for a group may have ten minutes to voice concerns.
- After a public hearing is closed, no further public testimony is permitted.
- Testimony in opposition to the application will follow the same time table as favorable testimony.
- Council discussions and questions follow testimony from the applicant and public.
- Any questions during a public hearing should be addressed to the Council, not the applicant.
NOTE: Mayor and Councilmembers request that testimony not be repeated.
OTHER AGENDA ITEMS:
Some agenda items have no scheduled time for public comment. Items such as ordinances have previously been discussed and considered by the Council or committees. If you have concerns, please call your councilmembers before the meeting.
Unless determined otherwise by the Mayor and City Council, no new agenda items are considered after 11:00 p.m. In an effort to assist applicants who travel from outside the Kansas City metropolitan area, every effort will be made to hear the application on the scheduled meeting date.
For your convenience, City Council agendas are can be accessed by clicking here: City Council Agendas/Meeting Documents.