The City of Lee’s Summit today announced a grant opportunity available to non-profit organizations providing services to the homeless. The City was notified about the Emergency Shelter Grant Program (ESG) by the Missouri Department of Social Services, which administers the program. The Emergency Shelter Grant Program may be used to provide the following homeless assistance services:
- Conduct renovation, major rehabilitation, or conversion of buildings for use as emergency shelters.
- Provide essential services to homeless individuals or families, including employment, health, drug abuse prevention, or education. Funding provided for costs associated with transitioning homeless individuals or families to permanent housing are also defined as essential services.
- Assist families that have received eviction notices or notices of termination of utility services.
- Cover operational costs to provide essential services.
- Administer the ESG program, such as salaries, audit costs, or other program-related expenses.
Recipients of the ESG grant must match funds dollar-for-dollar, and the request cannot exceed $75,000 or be less than $7,500. Applications are available on the Missouri Department of Social Services Web site at: www.dss.mo.gov/fsd/esg/index.htm.
Grant applications are due no later than April 21, 2010 to the City of Lee’s Summit Administration Department at 220 SE Green St. Questions about obtaining the ESG grant, the application process and about eligibility requirements should be directed to the Sharon Quigley at (816) 969-1026.